The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Election Committee Conflict of Interest

vicmar75

I belong to a small non-profit which has been having some management problems of late. Our Board met and voted to fire our Manager. We called the manager before us, and he resigned. This person is the Chairman of our Election Committee. Not a few of us on the Board are worried about our election results, as the other two people on the Committee are friends with this man. Would we be within our rights to ask for a new Election Committee? Are we allowed to count the ballots after they give their count? This person has been heard to say they will make sure that certain people are not elected. I realize this could mean they would campaign against us, but you can understand our worry at this point. Any suggestions on how we can assure the validity of our election?

Would we be within our rights to ask for a new Election Committee?

Who appointed the election committee in the first place? Whoever it is has the authority to replace the members of the committee. Anyone else could ask them to do it, but they'll make the final decision.

Are we allowed to count the ballots after they give their count?

I assume this is an election conducted by the general membership. If that is the case, the general membership could order the board to count the ballots as well, although I'm personally not sure I would trust the board with the ballots either, since presumably several of the board members are running for re-election.

Any suggestions on how we can assure the validity of our election?

Convince whoever has the authority to appoint the election committee to replace the members with others and/or have the general membership order the ballots to be counted in full view of the assembly at the meeting. It's hard to cheat when everyone's watching you.

• 3 years later...

Archived