The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Nominating Committee-subsequent balloting

Guest Rich McBride

Thanks in advance for your assistance.  Our organization holds it's election as part of it's three day annual conference/meeting.  The constitution of the group provides for a report of a nominating committee at the first session of the conference.  Nominations from the floor can also be given following that nominating report.  The constitution says that the election is by ballot unless a single person is in nominated in each office....but is silent on when the balloting is done.  It only notes that the Nominating committee shall announce the results of the balloting at the groups final session prior to adjournment (which is two days later.)  Since the constitution is silent, would it be expected that the ballots would be distributed at that final session or anytime during the three day event?

rich

It only notes that the Nominating committee shall announce the results of the balloting at the groups final session prior to adjournment (which is two days later.) 

I know you didn't create it, but that's an incredibly dumb rule.  What if there is the need for re-balloting? 

Since the constitution is silent, would it be expected that the ballots would be distributed at that final session or anytime during the three day event?

RONR simply says elections should take place early in meetings in case more than one ballot is needed, and I would contend it means early in a multi-day session as well.  Your group can decide when to pass out the ballots.

I think the rule (the incredibly dumb one) is suspendable.  I would move to suspend the rules and have the election start early (pick a time) and the results announced immediately after the ballots are counted assuming you're still in session for the day.  A 2/3 vote is required to suspend the rules.

Archived