The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Voting on Nominees

Guest Judy

If a motion has been made and seconded to add a member to a committee, and a person has been nominated and accepted the nomination, then a vote was called. One of the board members states according to Robert's Rules there has to be a period of time for questions and comments to be made before the vote. Furthermore that if the person who was nominated does not answer adequately or correctly according the one board member then a vote can not be called until the question is answered to his liking? My understanding of the rules is once the motion is made to add new members and the vote carried, then a new motion to add specific nominee is made and seconded after a short discussion a vote can be called and if the member isn't happy with the answers or doesn't like them, then he can vote no but calling for a vote is appropriate and majority will carry.

Furthermore that if the person who was nominated does not answer adequately or correctly according the one board member then a vote can not be called until the question is answered to his liking?

The member is incorrect.

My understanding of the rules is once the motion is made to add new members and the vote carried, then a new motion to add specific nominee is made and seconded after a short discussion a vote can be called and if the member isn't happy with the answers or doesn't like them, then he can vote no but calling for a vote is appropriate and majority will carry.

You are correct that a single member may not prevent a vote from being taken.

One of the board members states according to Robert's Rules .....

Yet again? Feh! :angry:

Judy, here forward in such a circumstance you should hand this person your well-read, dog-eared, highlighted (in various colors, covering nearly 50% of the text) copy of RONR, with the spine breaking to a point of it nearly falling into two pieces so you've had to "wrap" it with duct tape, and say "Show me where it says that." If he can find it, fine. Dollars to doughnuts, he won't accept your offer.

Archived