The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Operating Without Bylaws!!

Guest Lisa

Hello,

We are a youth football league as currently I don't believe we are operating under any bylaws, our current bylaws state that we need to revisit them every 2 years, last time they were revisited was Aug 2008. As of 2010 we changed our name of our non-profit name and as of 2011 we voted to leave our parenting league. We do not have a parenting league until feb 15th which they might vote us in.

Now the question is, do we have bylaws? Do we call an emergency meeting to creat new bylaws with our new name? Or do we proceed under Roberts Rule of Order until we get voted into the new League.

Thank you

Lisa

Hello,

We are a youth football league as currently I don't believe we are operating under any bylaws, our current bylaws state that we need to revisit them every 2 years, last time they were revisited was Aug 2008. As of 2010 we changed our name of our non-profit name and as of 2011 we voted to leave our parenting league. We do not have a parenting league until feb 15th which they might vote us in.

Now the question is, do we have bylaws? Do we call an emergency meeting to creat new bylaws with our new name? Or do we proceed under Roberts Rule of Order until we get voted into the new League.

If you have current bylaws, which you say you do, then you need to amend them to fit your current (or incipient) situation. The fact that you failed to obey the provision that they should be "revisited" every 2 years doesn't mean that they vanished. It just means that somebody (or bodies) dropped the ball. So, shame on them, and then we move on.

You can only call "emergency meetings" if your bylaws allow for them. Otherwise you'll have to handle things at your regular meetings. You should follow the procedure in your bylaws for how to amend them, and do so. Change the name, change the affiliation, change whatever needs to be changed.

For everything that's not peculiar to your organization, follow the rules in RONR. And if your bylaws don't name a parliamentary authority, put in language to do that.

It is possible to exist without bylaws.

One example is a corporation. The article of incorporation might be just complete enough to establish a structure, and establish the minimum procedures, without the need for a constitution or a set of bylaws.

But, that is quite rare.

Thus, I feel I ought to ask the obvious questions:

Q. How does one become a member of the organization?

Q. When is your elections, i.e., your annual meeting?

Q. How do you know what the full, proper NAME of your organization is?

Q. What document(s) of yours holds the answers to my questions above?

It is possible to exist without bylaws.

One example is a corporation. The article of incorporation might be just complete enough to establish a structure, and establish the minimum procedures, without the need for a constitution or a set of bylaws.

But, that is quite rare.

Thus, I feel I ought to ask the obvious questions:

Q. How does one become a member of the organization?

Q. When is your elections, i.e., your annual meeting?

Q. How do you know what the full, proper NAME of your organization is?

Q. What document(s) of yours holds the answers to my questions above?

I don't think this really addresses the poster's question. The poster's organization obviously has Bylaws, and the question appears to be whether failure to follow the "revisiting" requirement somehow "nullifies" the Bylaws. As Mr. Novosielski suggests, this does not seem to be a logical conclusion.

Archived