The Official RONR Q & A Forums

president ability to veto ???

Guest Diane

We were recently informed by the president of our organization that he has the power to veto the nominating committees recommendations. This is no where in our bylaws. In fact, no where in our bylaws does it mention the president has the right to veto anything. Granted, anyone can run for a position on the board by writing in and those the nominating committee recommended and those running against will vote by secret ballot. That much I get.

I was wondering if there is anything in RONR that suggest the president has veto power? This is the first I've ever heard of this claim. He knows he's on his way out along with the rest of his sheeples but this "Veto power" has me wondering!

Thanks in advance and for those that have helped me in the recent past, thank you very much. Your assistance has not been forgotten.

Diane

We were recently informed by the president of our organization that he has the power to veto the nominating committees recommendations.

Ask him to show you where it says that. If he can, fine. Dollars to donuts he's going to come up short. I don't believe you'll find anything in RONR that says the President does not have veto power. There's a lot the President can't do. That would be a whole 'nother, and much larger, book! ;)

I was wondering if there is anything in RONR that suggest the president has veto power? This is the first I've ever heard of this claim. He knows he's on his way out along with the rest of his sheeples but this "Veto power" has me wondering!

Nope. Not even a whisper of a hint of a suggestion. It's a remarkable claim indeed. Point out to him that remarkable claims require remarkable proof. What'll you bet he has none?

I don't believe you'll find anything in RONR that says the President does not have veto power. There's a lot the President can't do. That would be a whole 'nother, and much larger, book! ;)

Thankfully, RONR, 10th ed., pg. 440, lines 19-25 is a nice catch-all citation to counter ridiculous claims like this one.

Thankfully, RONR, 10th ed., pg. 440, lines 19-25 is a nice catch-all citation to counter ridiculous claims like this one.

I think it's also safe to say that, beyond the duties as laid out in RONR for officers under general parliamentary law, any other powers, duties or responsibilities must come from the governing documents (at however high a level) else the officer does not possess them. Not sure if there's a citation for that, but it's become my understanding that just because there's no rule that says you can't do X does not in any way mean you can.

I think it's also safe to say that, beyond the duties as laid out in RONR for officers under general parliamentary law, any other powers, duties or responsibilities must come from the governing documents (at however high a level) else the officer does not possess them. Not sure if there's a citation for that, but it's become my understanding that just because there's no rule that says you can't do X does not in any way mean you can.

There is a citation for that (at least for the President). I just gave it to you. The same principle applies to other officers. I assume the President was singled out simply because Presidents are more likely to develop these delusions of grandeur. :)

Archived