The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Review of CLOSED meeting minutes, by a Board Member

Guest Board member 2010

Guest Board member 2010

We have 2 officers that were removed from the Board of Directors by a quorum. Now they are requesting to read all CLOSED meeting minutes(that they were a part of), All OPEN meeting minutes that they were a part of. Review the checks that were written while they were in office, Committee minutes. As a Board of Directors. DO we have to let them view. They have already viewed minutes once.

Guest Board Member 2010

I thought CLOSED meeting were just as such CLOSED meetings. I feel the X Board members can view all OPEN meeting minutes. I don't feel they can view any of the CLOSED meeting minutes. As far as the checks, they can review the Profit/Loss sheet that is passed out at the OPEN meeting with all expenditures on it? As far as Committee minutes they should have joined committees to know what what going on or what was planned?

We have 2 officers that were removed from the Board of Directors by a quorum. Now they are requesting to read all CLOSED meeting minutes(that they were a part of), All OPEN meeting minutes that they were a part of. Review the checks that were written while they were in office, Committee minutes. As a Board of Directors. DO we have to let them view. They have already viewed minutes once.

I don't know what "removed by a quorum" is supposed to mean, but it doesn't correspond to any way of removing people in RONR. If they were removed by proper procedure according to your bylaws, then they no longer have any rights to view anything.

What page or chapter can I reference to in Roberts Rule of Order.

You don't have to reference anything. They're the ones making the extraordinary claim that non-members of the board have the right to see board documents.

Ask them for a citation to support their claimed right. There isn't one.

There is no language in RONR prohibiting them from stealing your car, either, but that doesn't mean they're allowed to do it.

Archived