The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Board Member

Guest Gail Jay

A current board member is moving to another state and will not be able to do his/her duties long distance.

He/she wants us to set up conference call for each Board meeting, but we do not have the ability to do this.

If no resignation is given how do we handle the situation that our board will be one member short.

Our constitution states that we fill vacancies at the Board meeting following notification of vacancy. It also

states that a Board Member can be voted off Board with a majority Board vote after missing 6 meetings.

Thank You

If no resignation is given how do we handle the situation that our board will be one member short.

Remove him from office if he refuses to resign and can't perform his duties.

It also states that a Board Member can be voted off Board with a majority Board vote after missing 6 meetings.

I wouldn't wait if I knew he couldn't do his duties. I would remove him from office. See FAQ #20.

He/she wants us to set up conference call for each Board meeting, but we do not have the ability to do this.

If the bylaws don't specifically permit voting by conference call then it can't be done in the first place (RONR pp. 408-409).

Archived