The Official RONR Q & A Forums

what is a quorum

Guest valerie

our board is 11 one resigned and has not been replaced and two asked for leave do we count them in our quorum? and two are on vacation and won't be at a board meeting is our quorum based on the total 10 or less the two on leave? would that be 8 active members 5.34 members or 6? or do I could the two on leave?

I don't believe RONR deals with "on leave" status. It would be up to your organization to determine if that means they are still members of the Board. In general, the quorum is calculated against the number of members, so on the face of it, it looks like it would be figured on 10. This would put your quorum at 7 (I'm figuring it's 2/3 by your reference to 5.34) So, with 10 members, two on leave and two on vacation, you may not have a quorum at the next board meeting! Stay tuned for other answers.

our board is 11 one resigned and has not been replaced and two asked for leave do we count them in our quorum? and two are on vacation and won't be at a board meeting is our quorum based on the total 10 or less the two on leave? would that be 8 active members 5.34 members or 6? or do I could the two on leave?

Unless your bylaws has provisions that adjust your quorum when members are 'on leave', they are still members and count as members when determining your quorum. The vacant slot does not. A majority of 10 members is 6.

-Bob

If the resigned member's resignation has been accepted then he is no longer a member of the board. The people on leave still are, unless your bylaws say something unusual. So your quorum is based on 10 members eligible to vote.

But I don't know if you need 6 members (a majority) or more, because you didn't say what your quorum requirement is in your bylaws.

If it's a majority, you'll need 6 members. If it's 2/3, you'll need 7. (Well, 6 2/3, actually, but they tend to show up at meetings only in whole numbers.)

language like "do we count them in our quorum" as opposed to "towards (attaining) the quorum" makes me wonder if there isn't perhaps a basic misapplication of the term.

Well, yes. You don't count anyone in your quorum unless they show up.

You count them in determining the quorum requirement if they are members.

Well, yes. You don't count anyone in your quorum unless they show up.

You count them in determining the quorum requirement if they are members.

The "quorum" and the "quorum requirement" are the same thing. The quorum is the minimum number of members who must be present in order to conduct business. If you're all going to be sticklers about wording, then I believe the poster is asking whether the members on leave count for purposes of determining the quorum (and I agree with the other posters that they do unless the Bylaws suggest otherwise).

Archived