The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Saddle club president will not sign contract

rodeomom39

Our Saddle club voted to host a rodeo event. The event promotors in our club have contracted enough sponsors to asumme over half the cost of the rodeo. Plese understand that is is hard to commit a sponsor until the event is passed by the club. The club voted and approved the rodeo with the club assuming a $3000 risk from the club funds.All other funding for the event will come from event sponsors in the area. The presidentnow refuses to sign the contract with the rodeo producer, how do we procede?

The presidentnow refuses to sign the contract with the rodeo producer, how do we procede?

It depends on why the President is supposed to sign the contract in the first place. Is it required by some rule of the organization? Was it specified in the motion? No particular reason? If it's the last one, just have someone else (such as the Vice President) sign it. If it's one of the other two, you'll have to amend the motion or rule so that someone else can sign it or get a new President, whichever is easier. In fact, I'd recommend getting a new President in addition to whatever you do to get the contract signed. This sort of behavior should not be tolerated from officers.

Our Saddle club voted to host a rodeo event.

The event promoters in our club have contracted enough sponsors to asumme over half the cost of the rodeo.

Plese understand that is is hard to commit a sponsor until the event is passed by the club. The club voted and approved the rodeo with the club assuming a $3000 risk from the club funds.

All other funding for the event will come from event sponsors in the area.

The president now refuses to sign the contract with the rodeo producer, how do we proceed?

How do you proceed?

Get someone other that your president to sign.

What makes you think an individual can halt a decision made properly and officially by your club?

Do you have a rule which empowers a sole individual, like your president, to veto club decisions?

The president has called a special meeting tonight with officers of the club and the spokemen/rodeo event chair to question the sponsorship commitments. He apparently does not understand a sponsor will not give us the money until be have the event in place with a signed contract. The people the president has asked to this "special meeting" I in my opinion voted against the rodeo event, but it passed at the club level motion, by a wide margin.I am a supporter of this event and beleive our president needs to follow threw on the clubs voted motion. He states he is nervous about the clubs finaial risk. The club supported that risk in the vote .The new rodeo committee was told by the club president to go to city council and it also passed there with the cities blessings for success.

The president has called a special meeting tonight with officers of the club and the spokemen/rodeo event chair to question the sponsorship commitments. He apparently does not understand a sponsor will not give us the money until be have the event in place with a signed contract. The people the president has asked to this "special meeting" I in my opinion voted against the rodeo event, but it passed at the club level motion, by a wide margin.I am a supporter of this event and beleive our president needs to follow threw on the clubs voted motion. He states he is nervous about the clubs finaial risk. The club supported that risk in the vote .The new rodeo committee was told by the club president to go to city council and it also passed there with the cities blessings for success.

Special meetings can not be called unless they are authorized in the bylaws or other governing documents. The section that does authorize Special meetings should include who can call them (the President, for example, at his own intiative), or other circumstances required (such as at the written request of X number of members), and also the required notice of such a call. When not defined, notice is termed by RONR to be "reasonable", meaning there would be enough time to get the notice (preferably in writing) of the meeting to all members so that they can arrange to attend. Bylaws often require a certain number of days, depending on factors such as the geographical nature of the membership. If they are all in the local area, a few days may be reasonable. If some must travel a distance, and make arrangements for accommodations, several weeks may be more "reasonable."

A call of a Special Meeting must go out to all members of the assembly that is meeting, whether the Board or general membership or other. You can't pick and choose who you want to be there.

If this is not actually to be a "business meeting", where decisions on behalf of the membership will be made, but rather an informal discussion among the President's supporters to discuss the event, that may not be a problem. There's nothing wrong with a small group getting together to discuss and formulate a "plan of attack" to use at the next meeting. But if they do intend to conduct business, adopting motions and making decisions, any such action taken would be null and void.

It's time for a new President, as I think you've gathered all ready.

I am a supporter of this event and beleive our president needs to follow threw on the clubs voted motion.

Okay, let's try this again - is there any reason that it must be the President specifically who signs the contract? I completely agree that your President is obliged to follow the orders of the assembly, but it might be quicker to have someone else sign the contract than to deal with your President. You can always handle that situation after you get the contract signed.

Thank you all for your help. I needed clearification and got it from your advice. I beleive the situtaion has been resolved with our club president. The question with the president was that the club voted on a $3000 cap of risk of out of pocketexpense. The contract states $8500 which is the total cost of the event. The promoters of the event have $5100 already "promised" money in advertising sponsors. His question was he did not feel he could sign the binding contract with the rodeo contracter stating $8500 expense without the club voting on this. So the motion of approval for the rodeo event will have to be resended for the $3000 and remotioned for the binding contract of $8500?

I was glad to go to this special meeting and get the facts straight. I was told thru grapevine he just was not going to sign it-period. Even though I am not a fan of our president must I agree with him-this time. Thanks for your input - good advice for future trials.Should be an interesting year!

So the motion of approval for the rodeo event will have to be resended for the $3000 and remotioned for the binding contract of $8500?

Well, it doesn't need to be a two-step process. The assembly may amend the original motion by using motion to Amend Something Previously Adopted. This requires a 2/3 vote, a vote of a majority of the entire membership, or a majority vote with previous notice.

Even though I am not a fan of our president must I agree with him-this time.

Yes, I agree that the President was correct in not signing a contract which exceeded what the membership agreed to.

I was told thru grapevine...

And this seems to have been at the heart of the matter. What would have helped is the President explaining his reasons, although outside of a meeting he has no parliamentary obligation to, but it would have cleared up any misunderstanding among the members. Whether the "grapevine" would have passed that along is another story. Perhaps some of those grapes were sour. Of course, another sponsor for $400 might have sweetened the taste enough?

Archived