The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Members List

Guest Meg

I'd like to find out if there is anything in the rules that prevents a member from getting a copy of the actual members list when it comes to voting. If you are only a member and not on the board, is this possible to ask for? Or against the rules. Thanks for any response

I'd like to find out if there is anything in the rules that prevents a member from getting a copy of the actual members list when it comes to voting. If you are only a member and not on the board, is this possible to ask for? Or against the rules. Thanks for any response

I have found that many organizations have specific rules about that. Best to check the bylaws and standing rules.

I have found that many organizations have specific rules about that. Best to check the bylaws and standing rules.

Thanks so much for a reply. No where in the bilaws does it say anything about this. Thats why i'm not sure if I can ask the question without someone making up the rules as they go along.

No one has a right to the master list of members. That isn't one of the rights of membership which Robert's Rules of Order lists.

Indeed, a roster will have private information, namely one's address and one's telephone number. No one wants their address and phone number distributed to people with unknown intent. (Spam? Fraud? Theivery?)

You will need permission.

Granted, some organizations actually publish their roster.

Yet some organizations treat their roster like gold, and consider privacy the highest priority.

No one has a right to the master list of members. That isn't one of the rights of membership which Robert's Rules of Order lists.

Indeed, a roster will have private information, namely one's address and one's telephone number. No one wants their address and phone number distributed to people with unknown intent. (Spam? Fraud? Theivery?)

You will need permission.

Granted, some organizations actually publish their roster.

Yet some organizations treat their roster like gold, and consider privacy the highest priority.

I'm not sure if you think i'm naive or stupid but I'm clearly not. I'm not interested in addresses or numbers as much as names. This seems like a big loop hole that allows for fraud when you have corruption in place already. Thanks for your time

If you are only a member and not on the board, is this possible to ask for? Or against the rules.

Nothing in RONR gives a member a right to the membership list, but nothing in RONR prohibits the assembly from giving a member a copy. You can ask the board if you wish, but they are under no obligation to give you a copy. Another option would be to make a motion at a meeting of the general membership ordering the board to give you a copy. Such a motion would require a majority vote, and the board would be compelled to follow the orders of the general membership.

I'd like to find out if there is anything in the rules that prevents a member from getting a copy of the actual members list when it comes to voting.

... someone making up the rules as they go along.

...when you have corruption in place already.

I'd guess that your organization is large, with membership spread out far and wide, and not so small that everyone fits in one small room and knows each other. It also seems that you're dealing with a leadership that is more concerned with power and control than transparency and the good of the membership. But those are just my inferences.

You ask about "when it comes to voting", so I wonder if your concern is about making sure only members vote, or how they voted. As noted, RONR does not speak to a member's "right" to obtain a membership list, but I think a reasonable person would not suggest you shouldn't be able to find this out, depending on your motives. If there is a (well-founded) suspicion that elections have been mismanaged or actions taken have been improperly approved, there may be good reason to investigate this, especially if funds have been improperly handled.

So, if you're still around, perhaps if you clarified your interest in the membership roster, certain parliamentary measures could be offered to assist you.

Archived