The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Proxy

Guest Gene

Does a proxy vote only give the “Designee” or “Representative” the right to vote in place of the absent member or can it also direct that “Designee” or “Representative” to vote a certain way at the meeting, i.e. like an absentee ballot?

It all depends on the nature of the particular proxy which, as RONR notes, is a kind of power of attorney.

See FAQ #10.

It all depends on the nature of the particular proxy which, as RONR notes, is a kind of power of attorney.

See FAQ #10.

Which is to say, as I read it, you tell us. That is, if your organization wishes the proxy holder to receive explicit directions on how to vote from the absent member, that's fine. If you wish to give all voting rights to the proxy holder, including how to vote or even if they can abstain, that's fine. They're your rules, so you will need to figure out how to apply them. Just make sure they are clearly spelled out in the bylaws.

Does a proxy vote only give the “Designee” or “Representative” the right to vote in place of the absent member or can it also direct that “Designee” or “Representative” to vote a certain way at the meeting,

i.e. like an absentee ballot?

Note that Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised (RONR 10th edition 2000) forbids the use of proxies.

Thus THE BOOK has no rules regarding how to administer proxies.

Note likewise for "absentee balloting", i.e., it is not allowed.

Any exception MUST be in your bylaws (i.e., a document of higher authority than your parliamentary authority).

Note that Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised (RONR 10th edition 2000) forbids the use of proxies.

Thus THE BOOK has no rules regarding how to administer proxies.

Note likewise for "absentee balloting", i.e., it is not allowed.

Except that, unlike proxy voting, the Book does have some valuable tips on carrying out absentee voting, in the event it is allowed by the bylaws.

The difference, I think, is that while in-person voting is always held as the only truly preferred method of voting, RONR recognizes that in some cases absentee voting is preferable to no voting at all, especially in the case of elections.

But proxy voting is viewed as only marginally better than an abomination (if that), when judged against the characteristics of the deliberative assembly, where each member's opinion is of equal value to any other member's.

I don't want to put words into the mouth of the Authorship Team, but that's my interpretation of the disparity.

But proxy voting is viewed as only marginally better than an abomination (if that), when judged against the characteristics of the deliberative assembly, where each member's opinion is of equal value to any other member's.

I'm not sure where RONR says that each member's opinion is of equal value but it sure runs counter to my experience.

As for voting by proxy being something short of an abomination, it at least has the advantage of the person casting the vote being present and privy to the debate. I would think most members could identify a member who thinks pretty much the same way they do on most issues and who could be trusted to vote in their stead.

What's dangerous about proxies is the tendency of some boards to suggest that the proxy must be given to the secretary (or the president) and not to any member (or any person) the absent member chooses.

I'm not sure where RONR says that each member's opinion is of equal value but it sure runs counter to my experience.

RONR, 10th ed., pg. 2, lines 4-8

As for voting by proxy being something short of an abomination, it at least has the advantage of the person casting the vote being present and privy to the debate. I would think most members could identify a member who thinks pretty much the same way they do on most issues and who could be trusted to vote in their stead.

Well, while RONR does not use the term "abomination," it does take a very dim view of proxy voting (except for its use in stock corporations). (RONR, 10th ed., pg. 414, lines 21-25)

Archived