The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Continuity of leadership..or vote every year

willie

Excerpt from by-laws:

"All Officers terms are generally for one year but may continue for a maximum of

two consecutive terms in the same position for continuity of leadership. The Officers will

remain in office until July 30. However, some duties in support of the PTA may need to be carried out prior to

the start of the term of office and some duties may need to be carried out after the term of

office expires, Officers in place, must agree to carry these duties out pre or post term.

Would you agree they can get a new vote every year or per these by-laws the presdent has right to continue in position for 2 years if he decides.

Willie - I know you're new here, and I don't mean to discourage you, but interpretation of bylaws is not something done on this forum. Pages 570-573 (RONR 10th Ed.) offer some helpful insights into this, but the ultimate decision is left up to the society.

That said, I will say I don't see anything in your snippet that speaks to the Vice President ascending to the presidency.

Excerpt from by-laws:

"All Officers terms are generally for one year but may continue for a maximum of

two consecutive terms in the same position for continuity of leadership."

Would you agree they can get a new vote every year or per these by-laws the presdent has right to continue in position for 2 years if he decides.

I would naïvely agree with you that, although there is a two-consecutive-term maximum, an officer would need to be elected to both of them, simply because nothing you quoted suggests otherwise.

But I have not read your bylaws in their entirety, and I am not a member of your society, so my opinion is for entertainment purposes only.

Archived