The Official RONR Q & A Forums

What difference of revisons and admendments

Guest sherry

U am working on the by laws.

U am?

Some of the by laws are scattered out.

It jumps from 1 topic to next.

can I revise it and combine alike items together or do I have to leave it a mess?

Are you asking if an individual, without organization approval, just re-edit the bylaws as that person sees fit?

To what end?

What is YOUR relationship between the organization?

Are you a member? Are you an officer? Are you the president?

Are you one member of a Bylaws Revision Committee?

Does anybody know what you are doing?

U am working on the by laws.

Sherry - don't U mind the boys, they is just having some fun.

Some of the by laws are scattered out. It jumps from 1 topic to next. can I revise it and combine alike items together or do I have to leave it a mess?

For now, let's go under the assumption that you have been properly empowered by your organization to revise the bylaws, or are part a committee to do so. The bylaws are an important document that, per RONR, should aspire to clarity and indisputability of meaning, above "readability." Making sure they say exactly what is meant, without ambiguity, is of the highest importance. After that, "readability" comes a close second.

I'm not sure what you mean by "1 topic to next", although I get the gist of it. Certainly any items that deal with a single topic should be grouped as much as feasible. Sections on membership should be together, on boards should be together, on meetings, on officers, and so on. Where necessary, accurate references to other sections need to be clear and precise.

Just because the bylaws are currently "jumbled up" does not mean they must stay that way during a revision. That may have occurred over time due to amendments being improperly added in the wrong areas. So, cleaning up the "mess" would be a worthwhile endeavor. Just be very careful that when moving things around, you don't unintentionally change any existing language via cut'n'pasting, mistyping and so forth.

Archived