The Official RONR Q & A Forums

parliamentary authority

Guest Fran Olsen

Our corporation's bylaws, written by a lawyer, do not have a clause stating any parliamentary authority. (I'm embarrassed to say that I was involved in getting these written, correcting the most horrendous bylaws I've ever seen.) For our upcoming election of the board, can I request a ballot vote at the meeting?

Our corporation's bylaws, written by a lawyer, do not have a clause stating any parliamentary authority. (I'm embarrassed to say that I was involved in getting these written, correcting the most horrendous bylaws I've ever seen.) For our upcoming election of the board, can I request a ballot vote at the meeting?

Yes. Although you all didn't adopt RONR as your parliamentary authority it is a codification of the present day general parliamentary law which would be binding on an organization in the absence of an adopted parliamentary authority (RONR p. xxv).

Yes, while you're at it, perhaps you should work on adopting RONR as your parliamentary authority.

Archived