The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Exec Committee minutes

Guest Lori Bucholz

Does the board of directors of a society, at an annual convention, automatically approve the actions taken and minutes of meetings that the exec committee has done during the year, without actually seeing those minutes? Can the BOD ask to see minutes of the exec committee-provided there's nothing that required an absolute "exec session" included in those minutes?

Does the board of directors of a society, at an annual convention, automatically approve the actions taken and minutes of meetings that the exec committee has done during the year, without actually seeing those minutes? Can the BOD ask to see minutes of the exec committee-provided there's nothing that required an absolute "exec session" included in those minutes?

1. No

2. Yes

Q1. Does the board of directors of a society, at an annual convention, automatically approve the actions taken and minutes of meetings that the exec committee has done during the year, without actually seeing those minutes?

Q2. Can the BOD ask to see minutes of the exec committee-provided there's nothing that required an absolute "exec session" included in those minutes?

A1. "No" in many ways.

• "Automatically"? No.

• "Sight unseen"? No.

• "The wrong body doing the approving of another body"? No.

A2. Yes.

Executive session or not. -- An inferior body cannot keep secrets from a superior body, i.e., the body to whom the inferior body reports, and is responsible to.

I assume no rule grants exclusivity to the executive committee, or grants independence to the executive committee.

Recently charges were levied against a Board member. The Board met and agreed to hear the charges. The meeting was 'executive' but others were in the same general area. The accused was not informed of the meeting, but did get a notification after the fact. As a Board member (and officer) is that member entitled to see the minutes?

Recently charges were levied against a Board member. The Board met and agreed to hear the charges. The meeting was 'executive' but others were in the same general area. The accused was not informed of the meeting, but did get a notification after the fact. As a Board member (and officer) is that member entitled to see the minutes?

The board member has the right to view minutes of the board, and since the board member was not notified, all actions taken at the meeting are null and void. I would also check your Bylaws to see if your board has the authority to levy charges against a member. By default, disciplinary authority is reserved for the general membership.

The board member has the right to view minutes of the board, and since the board member was not notified, all actions taken at the meeting are null and void. I would also check your Bylaws to see if your board has the authority to levy charges against a member. By default, disciplinary authority is reserved for the general membership.

Thank you!

The charges were filed by a member but not a Board member. I posted the 'discipline' section of our bylaws here a week or so ago under topic "Discipline.

Archived