The Official RONR Q & A Forums

executive board members

jazzyjan

I am a committee member of a class reunion.Yesterday,We had a meeting and discovered that the meeting name has been changed to executive board. We do not have any by-laws and to the members knowledge, we had no idea that it was changed and only officers were invited to attend. Is this under therobert rule order that this can happen.

I am a committee member of a class reunion.Yesterday,We had a meeting and discovered that the meeting name has been changed to executive board. We do not have any by-laws and to the members knowledge, we had no idea that it was changed and only officers were invited to attend. Is this under therobert rule order that this can happen.

I am a committee member of a class reunion.

Yesterday, We had a meeting and discovered that the meeting name has been changed to executive board.

We do not have any by-laws and to the members knowledge, we had no idea that it was changed and only officers were invited to attend.

Is this under the robert rule order that this can happen.

If you do not have bylaws, then what document defines the structure of your organization?

Q. How does one become a member? How do you tell apart a member from a non-member or a former-member?

Q. How do you know how many people sit on your board? Who did the electing of board members?

Q. Who set the annual election day?

And so on.

All this stuff should be fixed in whatever documents govern your organization.

To answer all the above questions,It began as a planning committee to have a class reunion for all students that attended a specific school. The word was receive from others and from there it began. President was elected for our committee and he (president) decided to use the robert rule order. I thought the members decided upon that. There were no mention of the different in the members except for the people that started the committee was on the planning committee. Since we had other elected officers ,they decided themselves to be called the executive board. I thought the executive board should have gone before the assembly. If I am wrong please let me know, Besides using the robert rule order there is no document that defines the structure of the organization. that is why i am confused. Do offficers have a right to set up a executive board without the assembly? This assembly has not been established a year yet and the officers terms have not been addressed yet

Since we had other elected officers, they decided themselves to be called the executive board.

Geez, Louise! :o

They just up and decided on their own to call themselves a board?

A board of WHAT? A board of WHOM?

Under the default rules of Robert's Rules, no organization has a board, since a board MUST be defined in one's constitution, bylaws, or other document of governance.

I thought the executive board should have gone before the assembly.

"Assembly"!?

How many different bodies do you have?!

Besides using the robert rule order there is no document that defines the structure of the organization.

that is why i am confused.

Do offficers have a right to set up a executive board without the assembly?

No!

This assembly has not been established a year yet and the officers terms have not been addressed yet

While it is possible for an unorganization group to have ongoing officers, everything else you are describing is just anarchy, i.e., a mob without rules and without structure.

It doesn't really matter what your group is called and they're free to meet without inviting anyone else. Since you have no rules, no rules were broken.

It doesn't really matter what your group is called and they're free to meet without inviting anyone else. Since you have no rules, no rules were broken.

On the other hand, if their bylaws (by not existing) do not define the composition, powers, and duties of a "board", then they do not have a board.

And the meeting of the people who call themselves the board, while it breaks no rule, cannot have any effect upon the dealings of he organization itself, and anything decided there is null and void, as far as the organization is concerned.

On the other hand, if their bylaws (by not existing) do not define the composition, powers, and duties of a "board", then they do not have a board.

As it happens, some years ago I found myself a kind of ex-officio member of our high school reunion "steering committee". We never chose to call ourselves a board but we knew who the members were and one of us opened a checking account to handle income and expenses. The "general membership" was everyone in the graduating class. All this without bylaws.

I suppose a rival group could have created their own committee/board but that never happened. We had the unofficial support of the school but mostly, I think, because we got there first. And some of us (not me) had been involved with earlier reunions.

The point of all this being that many informal associations can function quite well without bylaws. Why a committee would want to call itself a board escapes me but I see no sinister intent.

[M]any informal associations can function quite well without bylaws. Why a committee would want to call itself a board escapes me but I see no sinister intent.

Well, I wasn't necessarily suggesting sinister intent. I was just asserting that an organization does not have a board unless it actually has a board.

Well, I wasn't necessarily suggesting sinister intent. I was just asserting that an organization does not have a board unless it actually has a board.

Okay, "sinister" may have been too harsh a word. My point is just that if the steering committee wants to call itself a (planning?) board, I think it's kind of grandiose but not a game-stopper.

Okay, "sinister" may have been too harsh a word. My point is just that if the steering committee wants to call itself a (planning?) board, I think it's kind of grandiose but not a game-stopper.

Yes, but words have meanings. And a board typically has much more power than a committee, in the "average" society, if there is such a thing.

It's like when the assistant to the superintendent starts calling herself the Assistant Superintendent.

Archived