The Official RONR Q & A Forums

annual meeting

Guest Sharon

this is our new situation. The circuit court has issued a temporary restraining order against the Board of Directors concerning an improper ballot that was issued with the hope of interferring with the election. The Court has postponed the election hoping that a settlement can be reached pending a formal hearing. That is not the issue right now.

The Bylaws state that the annual meeting of members will be held on the First Saturday in March with the purpose of electing new Board members AND attending to any business before the members. The meeting notices have been sent out in a timely manner. NOW the Current Board wants to cancel the members meeting and just hold their own regular monthly meeting in its place.

Members are travelling some distance to attend the meeting. Their plans have been made. No formal announcement of the cancellation has been made, nor any announcement of the Court Decision to delay the election. We Members are insisting on holding the business portion of our meeting (while postponing the election until the meeting is recalled at a later date). We have a LOT of issues with the plans that certain Board members have made. We want to discuss these plans and bar certain possible Board actions which could have a detrimental effect on Members while increasing the power of the Board. We feel that we need to take action before any contracts are signed etc.

My question. Can the members insist on holding their meeting, even in the face of Board opposition? I think our Bylaws give us this right. Is there a Robert's Rules barrier to our attempts to hold the meeting in spite of the Board?

My question. Can the members insist on holding their meeting, even in the face of Board opposition? I think our Bylaws give us this right. Is there a Robert's Rules barrier to our attempts to hold the meeting in spite of the Board?

Let's ignore all the legal for now, but that's not to say it may not play heavily into how things progress for you.

Nothing in RONR empowers any person or group to cancel meetings or change the date/time/location etc. That would have to be in the bylaws. If it's not, then the membership MUST meet on the first Saturday in March. If there's a quorum present, business as usual. If not, an adjourned meeting can be set. If the regular presiding officer (President?) isn't there, the secretary (or any member in the secretary's absence) calls the meeting to order and an election is held to elect a Chair Pro Tem (and possibly Secretary Pro Tem, if needed). And then, on with the show.

Your Board won't be there, as they only exist as that entity at Board meetings. So don't let them try to make you think otherwise. They may be there as members (like all the rest of you), but only in that capacity.

Of course, your Board is misbehaving, so you (most of the membership, that is) must stay strong and refuse to be bullied. Know the rules, know your rights (I know, you've only got five more days to prepare) and hang tough. Good luck.

The membership is the highest decision-making body. The board is subordinate to the membership. The membership never needs to worry about what the board wants. The board needs to worry about what the membership wants--especially if the membership wants to throw the board out, and get a new board that knows enough do as they are told.

Have your meeting as scheduled. If you have been prevented from holding the election, that's unfortunate, as you will have to wait to throw the rascals out. But the board cannot stop you from having a membership meeting, nor can they substitute their own meeting. Just ignore them. You don't report to them. They report to you.

• 1 year later...

Our election is held by ballot mailed 30 days prior to the election, in accordance with our bylaws. Our bylaws allow for members to vote during the GM meeting, if they have not previously voted by mail. The board has voted to hold the election/GM meeting at the location of a nominee's business. Note: this is a heated/contested race.

Our election is held by ballot mailed 30 days prior to the election, in accordance with our bylaws. Our bylaws allow for members to vote during the GM meeting, if they have not previously voted by mail. The board has voted to hold the election/GM meeting at the location of a nominee's business. Note: this is a heated/contested race.

Please post your "question" as a New Topic. And be sure to ask a question (about RONR) when you do. Thanks!

Archived