The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motions restated by Chairman

palmettoflats

I made a motion and received a second. The chairman restated the motion, but deviated from the original motion. This was not caught by myself nor other members until it was advertised in the paper.

Which motion is the legal motion? Mine or the chairman's?

The chairman's wording is the official wording.

I made a motion and received a second. The chairman restated the motion, but deviated from the original motion. This was not caught by myself nor other members until it was advertised in the paper. Which motion is the legal motion? Mine or the chairmans?

If you don't like the chairman's wording, you can move to amend it to the wording you like at the next meeting. It takes a majority of the entire membership, a majority vote with notice, or a two-thirds vote without notice.

This was not caught by myself nor other members until it was advertised in the paper.

If you don't like the chairman's wording, you can move to amend it to the wording you like at the next meeting.

The mention of an "advertisement", and the lack of mention of any vote, suggests that this might be some sort of required previous notice. If so, any proposed changes would have to fall within the scope of the notice, a restriction that would not necessarily apply to amending an adopted motion.

Archived