The Official RONR Q & A Forums

President changing Motions

Guest june K

Our President insists that Motions are presented to him by email before the meeting and will not take any during the meeting. He also sets the Agenda by email before the meeting and will only accept what he wants meaning that 7/8 of the agenda items are those submitted by the property manager and himself.

He will take my proposed motion and reject it or modify it or incorporate it into one of his own. He will also tell me how he is going to vote.

He assures the board that he is following Robert Rules. Is he.

Our President insists

S1. that Motions are presented to he president by email before the meeting, and

S2. that the president will not take any during the meeting.

S3. that the president also sets the Agenda by email before the meeting, and

S4. that the president will only accept what he wants ...

... meaning that 7/8 of the agenda items are those submitted by the property manager and himself.

S5. that the President will take my proposed motion and reject it or modify it or incorporate it into one of his own.

S6. that the President will also tell me how he is going to vote.

S7. that the President is following Robert's Rules.

Is [the President] [following Robert's Rules of Order]?

No.

S1 thru S7 are all FALSE, if Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised (RONR 10th ed.) applies.

Our President insists that Motions are presented to him by email before the meeting and will not take any during the meeting. He also sets the Agenda by email before the meeting and will only accept what he wants meaning that 7/8 of the agenda items are those submitted by the property manager and himself.

He will take my proposed motion and reject it or modify it or incorporate it into one of his own. He will also tell me how he is going to vote.

If you elected this guy, then I believe you deserve what you get. Why do you elect this jerk??

If you elected this guy, then I believe you deserve what you get. Why do you elect this jerk??

Careful now. For all we know, Mr. Dictator seemed like a nice guy before he took over. Maybe June is a new member, and perhaps even voted against him. Maybe we was VP when the president resigned. Nonetheless, just because a "jerk" got voted into office does not mean the assembly should have to suffer for it, especially under improper procedures.

No. There is no requirement that motions be submitted to the President in advance. In most cases, a motion may be introduced in New Business without any previous notice. The agenda is set by the assembly at the meeting, not by the President beforehand. The President does not have the authority to modify a motion or incorporate it into another motion, nor does he have the authority to reject a legitimate motion. So no, almost nothing he's doing is in compliance with RONR.

No. There is no requirement that motions be submitted to the President in advance. In most cases, a motion may be introduced in New Business without any previous notice. The agenda is set by the assembly at the meeting, not by the President beforehand. The President does not have the authority to modify a motion or incorporate it into another motion, nor does he have the authority to reject a legitimate motion. So no, almost nothing he's doing is in compliance with RONR.

And, perhaps worst of all, he is misrepresenting what is in RONR. If it really said all that terrible stuff, nobody would use it. And they'd be right not to.

Archived