The Official RONR Q & A Forums

can a past officer be held responsible for current events

Guest MAS

As a volunteer I was part of the board of directors and held the position of secretary for a non profit organization for many years. Part of my assigned responsibilities was to obtain permits and licenses for the organization which were recorded under my name as the organization representative. At the last board of director election I decided to no longer continue as the secretary or part of the board but remained a member. I have just recently been notified by one of the permit agencies that the organization has fail to renew its permit’s and is now in violation to which fees can be imposed and or cancelation of organizations operations. I informed the agency that I was longer the organization representative as I had left office almost a year ago (this is recorded in the organizations meeting minutes and approved by the assembly). Sense it is the board’s responsibility to notify the permit and licensing agencies of the board change over and new officers, can I still be held responsible for these fines sense I am still noted in the City files as the organizations contact/responsible officer for all permits and licenses, I should add that all applications were signed by me as the secretary. What can I do to remove my name from these senses the new officers failed to?

As a volunteer I was part of the board of directors and held the position of secretary for a non profit organization for many years. Part of my assigned responsibilities was to obtain permits and licenses for the organization which were recorded under my name as the organization representative. At the last board of director election I decided to no longer continue as the secretary or part of the board but remained a member. I have just recently been notified by one of the permit agencies that the organization has fail to renew its permit’s and is now in violation to which fees can be imposed and or cancelation of organizations operations. I informed the agency that I was longer the organization representative as I had left office almost a year ago (this is recorded in the organizations meeting minutes and approved by the assembly). Sense it is the board’s responsibility to notify the permit and licensing agencies of the board change over and new officers, can I still be held responsible for these fines sense I am still noted in the City files as the organizations contact/responsible officer for all permits and licenses, I should add that all applications were signed by me as the secretary. What can I do to remove my name from these senses the new officers failed to?

RONR doesn't go into those sort of details. You will need to ask the City and/or speak to a lawyer.

I should add that all applications were signed by me as the secretary. What can I do to remove my name from these senses the new officers failed to?

While I suspect that you are seeing a routine trail of form letters, you could produce one of your own that says, "Please be advised that the undersigned is no longer the secretary of ___, nor does he bear responsiblity for the renewal of the organization's licenses. Please direct your inquiries to: (name and address of the new stuckee). Keep a copy and keep a log of persons/office to whom you send the letter. It probably won't do much good but you will definitely feel better.

-Bob

Archived