The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Impeachment

Guest Wayne Baldwin

Guest Wayne Baldwin

Can anyone tell me what would be legitimate grounds to call for the impeachment of a President? Or a reference as to his duties/responsibilities/requirements as to impartiality and best interest of an organization would be helpful.

Can anyone tell me what would be legitimate grounds to call for the impeachment of a President? Or a reference as to his duties/responsibilities/requirements as to impartiality and best interest of an organization would be helpful.

If what you want to do is remove your president from office (instead of simply "impeaching" him), see FAQ #20.

As for what constitutes "legitimate grounds", those are pretty much whatever your membership says they are.

Can anyone tell me what would be legitimate grounds to call for the impeachment of a President?

Assuming you mean removal from office, it would be "misconduct or neglect of duty in office." See RONR(10th ed.), p. 642.

Or a reference as to his duties/responsibilities/requirements as to impartiality and best interest of an organization would be helpful.

See RONR(10th ed.), p. 433-437.

It is worth noting that there is no requirement of "impartiality" by the president. While there are times that the president should conduct himself as if he were impartial, there is no requirement that he actually hold no opinions, nor even that he must keep them to himself

... except when presiding.

Archived