The Official RONR Q & A Forums

minutes approval

sammy

During the discussion of the minutes for any changes or correction asked by the chairperson, a correction was made and the secretary said that she would correct the minutes but under protest, how can this be.

The secretary, if a member, has the right to express disagreement with a proposed change to the minutes. If the chairman feels the assembly is somewhat divided on a proposed change, he/she can put the matter to a vote.

However, once the matter is settled, the secretary should cease debating the matter.

-Bob

During the discussion of the minutes for any changes or correction asked by the chairperson, a correction was made and the secretary said that she would correct the minutes but under protest, how can this be.

Because she was not happy with the change. To bad as the final wording of the minutes belongs to the assembly and not any individual.

True, but what if the secretary's objection was due to an improper change, such as recording something that did not actually happen at the meeting, or to include comments, discussion, etc.?

Then the Secretary would be justified in objecting, but the fact remains that the assembly has the final say over the content of the minutes. Although this raises an interesting point. I'm rather curious as to why the Secretary objected.

I assume the secretary is referring to adjusting the text of the minutes to reflect the correction made by the assembly. The secretary is essentially saying he will do his job, but under protest.

The secretary is free to object to the correction and force a vote on it, if he's a member.

If the secretary believes the correction violates a rule, such as to the form of the minutes, he should make a point of order. I see no parliamentary purpose for his comment.

Archived