The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Action of Board President

mrart

The Board President and his wife (non board member) have appointment with board attorney today with his list of questions regarding the association. The Board has not authorized this, has not participated in question make up, and has no knowledge of what the question are. We are guided by RONR and the states non profit organization rules.

The Board President and his wife (non board member) have appointment with board attorney today with his list of questions regarding the association. The Board has not authorized this, has not participated in question make up, and has no knowledge of what the question are. We are guided by RONR and the states non profit organization rules.

Q. Who is going to PAY for the legal advice?

Q. If the president pays for it, then what business is it of yours?

The board president and his wife are free to meet with whomever they wish - subject to some legal limits, etc. However, if they wish to engage an attorney at the expense of the organization, they will need approval in the form of a motion to do so.

Was that your question?

-Bob

It is the Boards attorney his is meeting, not his. The questions deal with the association, not personal. The attorneys fee I believe will be billed to the association, of course I have to see that in writing. mrart

It is the Boards attorney his is meeting, not his. The questions deal with the association, not personal. The attorneys fee I believe will be billed to the association, of course I have to see that in writing. mrart

Since it is Association business being discussed and the Association paying for the lawyer I would say that you would need to look to the bylaws and/or any adopted motion that would grant the President the power to consult with the Board's attorney without the Board's participation or permission (the President's wife being there is another issue).

Archived