The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Valid Corrections to Minutes

Guest LaCinda Mielke

Guest LaCinda Mielke

As "secretary" to a small Student Government Association, I prepare and publish the meeting minutes. Last week a member submitte 10 correction to the minutes including "change e-mail" to "text" in regard to receipt of data. Nit-picky or valid (the only concern was the treasury amount; not how it got to the meeting)

Thank you so much!

As "secretary" to a small Student Government Association, I prepare and publish the meeting minutes. Last week a member submitte 10 correction to the minutes including "change e-mail" to "text" in regard to receipt of data. Nit-picky or valid (the only concern was the treasury amount; not how it got to the meeting)

I doubt the method of receiving the treasury amount belongs in the minutes at all, since as you say, it has no parliamentary relevance. if for some reason the assembly wants to include it, however, it may as well be accurate. For more information on the content of the minutes, which may help in determining whether the other nine corrections are meaningful, see RONR, 10th ed., pgs. 451-456.

Thank you so much!

See RONR(10th ed.), p.343 l. 10-33, for an explanation of how corrections should be handled. If no member objects, the correction wasn't too nit-picky for the assembly. If someone does object, the matter will be decided by a vote.

See RONR(10th ed.), p. 451-456, for the form the minutes should take.

The amount in the treasury should be reported by the treasurer. See RONR(10th ed.), p. 459, l. 26-30.

See RONR(10th ed.), p.343 l. 10-33, for an explanation of how corrections should be handled. If no member objects, the correction wasn't too nit-picky for the assembly. If someone does object, the matter will be decided by a vote.

It's my understanding that the Secretary is soliciting corrections prior to the meeting, in order to get a lot of the non-controversial corrections out of the way to save time at the meeting. Therefore, the question is whether the Secretary should make the corrections to the draft minutes, not about the formal process of correcting the minutes when they are pending for approval.

It's my understanding that the Secretary is soliciting corrections prior to the meeting, in order to get a lot of the non-controversial corrections out of the way to save time at the meeting. Therefore, the question is whether the Secretary should make the corrections to the draft minutes, not about the formal process of correcting the minutes when they are pending for approval.

You have a different understanding than I. :)

Still, though, the referenced pages should help LaCinda with her task... I hope.

Well, you're the one who included how it got to the meeting. If it wasn't important, why didn't you leave it out?

I agree it does not belong in there, but if it is, there's no reason why it should not be correct.

Archived