The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Adjusting meeting minutes to reflect adjustments he meeting

fscpattie

I have 2 questions regarding recording minutes of a meeting.

1)In January we had 1 of our 3 annual meetings (June and November being the other 2). Subsequent to the meeting, more monies were collected from a charity auction. Should I reflect the amended amount on the meeting notes with a footnote indicating htis, wait till the June meeting and bring it up as an item for amendment/correction, 3) put it in the notes without reflecting that the amount changed after the fact, or put the amended amount into an appendix of some sort.

2) A motion that was on the table in our meeting was tabled pending more information to be provided by the committee chair. She provided that information after the meeting - at which time a vote was taken. Should I amend the minutes to reflect this post-meeting vote, add an appendix to reflect same, put the post meeting vote on hte new minutes as a vote to be entered in the June meeting minutes or some other method?

In January we had 1 of our 3 annual meetings (June and November being the other 2).

An annual meeting is, by definition, held just once a year. Annually. You can't have three of them. Just like you can't have fourteen monthly meetings in a year.

Subsequent to the meeting, more monies were collected from a charity auction. Should I reflect the amended amount on the meeting notes with a footnote indicating htis, wait till the June meeting and bring it up as an item for amendment/correction, 3) put it in the notes without reflecting that the amount changed after the fact, or put the amended amount into an appendix of some sort.

The minutes are the official record of what was done at a meeting, not subsequent to a meeting. If the receipt of additional funds are reported at the next meeting, it can be recorded in the minutes of that meeting.

A motion that was on the table in our meeting was tabled pending more information to be provided by the committee chair. She provided that information after the meeting - at which time a vote was taken. Should I amend the minutes to reflect this post-meeting vote, add an appendix to reflect same, put the post meeting vote on hte new minutes as a vote to be entered in the June meeting minutes or some other method?

Minutes record what was done at the meeting. And you can only vote during a meeting. So there's no "post-meeting" vote to record since there's no such thing as a "post-meeting" vote.

Not to mention that the "tabling" was improper. See FAQ #12.

1)In January we had 1 of our 3 annual meetings (June and November being the other 2). Subsequent to the meeting, more monies were collected from a charity auction. Should I reflect the amended amount on the meeting notes with a footnote indicating htis, wait till the June meeting and bring it up as an item for amendment/correction, 3) put it in the notes without reflecting that the amount changed after the fact, or put the amended amount into an appendix of some sort.

Firstly, they can't be Annual meetings. They are Regular meetings, however it can be significant for a number of parliamentary reasons that they occur at greater than a quarterly interval, with the exception of the November-January interval.

Secondly, none of the above.

Anything that happened after the meeting was adjourned does not go in the minutes. For that reason a correction at the next meeting is not appropriate, and I don't even know what #3 means--minutes do not have appendices. The fact that more money was collected can be recorded in the next meeting's minutes, in the same way as the money collected thus far was recorded this time.

2) A motion that was on the table in our meeting was tabled pending more information to be provided by the committee chair. She provided that information after the meeting - at which time a vote was taken. Should I amend the minutes to reflect this post-meeting vote, add an appendix to reflect same, put the post meeting vote on the new minutes as a vote to be entered in the June meeting minutes or some other method?

None of the above. Post-meeting vote is an oxymoron.

Whatever was done was not a valid vote, so it gets recorded no place. Furthermore, since the motion was Tabled, and your next regular meeting is more than a quarterly interval away, the motion died when the meeting was adjourned. By the time you took the "vote" there was nothing to vote on any more.

What you could have done was refer the matter to a committee with instructions that if the information met certain criteria, the committee had the power to perform the actions specified in the motion. The committee could have met, voted, and done whatever needed to be done. Or, you could have fixed the time for an Adjourned Meeting so that the information could be brought back to the assembly for a decision.

But that is apparently not what happened. And to anticipate your next question: No. You cannot falsify the minutes of the last meeting to suggest that it did.

Archived