The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Designating meeting locations

Guest Karen Mills

Our C&B reads:

> Section 1. Regular Club Meetings. Meetings of the Club shall be held in the city of-------------(or immediate vicinity) on the 3rd Monday of the month, at such hour and place as may be designated by the Board of Directors

If the membership wants to change the meeting location how would they do this?

Besides making an amendment to the Constitution?

--

Regards,

Karen Mills

It depends on the change you desire. If you wish to meet at a date and place that falls within the limits of your bylaws, you can adopt a motion to that effect. Since the bylaws say the Board may designate the hour and place, the members could pass a motion instructing the Board to make a particular designation. "The society's assembly can give the board instructions which it must carry out." [page 466]

-Bob

I see that just above this quote it reads:

except in matters placed by the bylaws exclusively under the control of the Board, the society's assembly can give the Board directions it must carry out.

This says to me that since the bylaws give the board the exclusive job of designating the meeting place this does not apply.

I don't agree. This set of bylaws says setting the meeting place and time is the responsibility of the BOD but not their EXCLUSIVE responsibility.

-Bob

It depends on the change you desire. If you wish to meet at a date and place that falls within the limits of your bylaws, you can adopt a motion to that effect. Since the bylaws say the Board may designate the hour and place, the members could pass a motion instructing the Board to make a particular designation. "The society's assembly can give the board instructions which it must carry out." [page 466]

-Bob

By my standards, under the quoted language (absent anything more), the power to designate the hour and place (within prescribed limits) of regular club meetings is vested exclusively in the Board of Directors.

By my standards, under the quoted language (absent anything more), the power to designate the hour and place (within prescribed limits) of regular club meetings is vested exclusively in the Board of Directors.

well,that is how I read it but what do I know?? LOL

Here is the entire section:

ARTICLE III. – Meetings and Voting

Section 1. Regular Club Meetings. Meetings of the Club shall be held in the city of Columbus, Ohio (or immediate vicinity) on the 3rd Monday of the month, at such hour and place as may be designated by the Board of Directors. When regular meeting dates fall on observed holidays, the day following a COKC show or for any other valid reason, the scheduled meeting may be changed to another date at the discretion of the Board. Written notice of each such meeting shall be mailed by the Secretary at least 10 days prior to the date of the meeting. The quorum for such meetings shall be 20% of the members in good standing.

There are following sections on special meetings that define who designates time/place

at such hour and place as may be designated by the person or persons authorized herein to call such meetings.

these instructions are repeated for regular and special Board meetings.

Karen Mills

for the sake of discussion.....say the (a) Board has exclusive rights to set the meeting time and place.

Other than amending the bylaws is there a way for the membership to change the meeting location?

TIA,Karen Mills

Nothing.

Once called to order, the meeting could be adjourned to another place or time, by the motion Fix Time To Which To Adjourn.

Archived