The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Continuing Rules

Guest Janet Weisheit

Guest Janet Weisheit

My new incoming President says that under Parliamentary procedure, at the first meeting when a new Board takes office, the Board needs to approve or disapprove "continuing rules". According to her, "Continuing rules" consist of all motions approved during the past administration.

I have never used this. Any thoughts or advice?

Janet

My new incoming President says that under Parliamentary procedure, at the first meeting when a new Board takes office, the Board needs to approve or disapprove "continuing rules". According to her, "Continuing rules" consist of all motions approved during the past administration.

It's not unheard of in certain legislative bodies, but it's certainly not required in ordinary societies, and not a rule in RONR. Whatever you adopted in the past stays adopted until the action is complete, or the situation to which it applies no longer exists, or until it is repealed by the assembly.

What sort of Board are you?

The President is incorrect. First of all, not all motions are necessarily continuing rules. Many motions are a one-time thing. Secondly, any motions which do have continuing effect remain in effect indefinitely until rescinded or amended, unless the motion itself or the assembly's rules state otherwise.

As noted above, all adopted main motions remain in effect until completed or rescinded. Your president should know that. She should be prepared to cite some rule in RONR supporting her view. (Hint: there isn't one.) As a board member, you might also look at past changes in administration to see the practice at the first meeting. Assuming she's the first trying this, the minutes should also disprove this idea.

Secondly, it should be pointed out that some motions cannot be rescinded. [page 297-298]. Therefore her idea cannot be correct.

Finally, know that the vote required to rescind/amend something previously adopted is 2/3 vote without notice, majority vote with notice, or a majority of the entire membership.

-Bob

As noted above, all adopted main motions remain in effect until completed or rescinded. Your president should know that. She should be prepared to cite some rule in RONR supporting her view. (Hint: there isn't one.)

And Janet, if you'd like one to cite for your side of the argument, the footnote on page 106 should come in handy.

Archived