The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Does Constitution Change Alter Current Election Term

kcarsarebest

A group has used a constitutional review in an attempt to alter an election term is this legal?

The current board is elected until 2012 by virtue of the present Constitution, a review committee has presented a constitutional revision which states an election shall occur in 2011. Is this appropriate where the parties were already appointed/elected until 2012?

Thanks

A group has used a constitutional review in an attempt to alter an election term.

Is this legal?

The current board is elected until 2012 by virtue of the present Constitution, a review committee has presented a constitutional revision

which states an election shall occur in 2011.

Is this appropriate where the parties were already appointed/elected until 2012?

Anyone can propose amendments.

That violates no rule in Robert's Rules of Order.

I have not read the text of your committee's document.

So I cannot say if your paraphrase is accurate, or is sensible.

So, I cannot say if their "revision" is "appropriate". (Your terms.)

Context is everything.

RONR does note, however, that bylaw amendments can alter conditions for people in the midst of their terms in office - p. 579 - so your review group may be proposing a legitimate change.

You, at the meeting when these changes come up, can propose that specific changes be delayed by adopting provisos prior to voting on the bylaw amendments - see p. 578 ff. Or simply defeat the amendment proposals.

Archived