The Official RONR Q & A Forums

election of Board officers

Guest Belle

I am on a 5 member board for a homeowners association. It was a contentious election for the directors at the annual meeting. At our next board meeting we will be electing our officers (President, v.p., secretary and treasurer). The first 3 offices are pretty well established as to who will be elected. I am concerned that both of the other two, new board members, may decline to serve as treasurer. What happens in that case? Can he/she be elected without their accepting the nomination? Or what happens if there is no treasurer elected?

I am concerned that both of the other two, new board members, may decline to serve as treasurer. What happens in that case? Can he/she be elected without their accepting the nomination? Or what happens if there is no treasurer elected?

You can elect someone who wasn't nominated (or who objected to his nomination) but that person is not obligated to accept the office.

You might consider electing the same person as both secretary and treasurer (or vice-president and treasurer). Or you might consider eliminating the office of treasurer. But, as long as you have it, you have to try to complete the election.

I am on a 5 member board for a homeowners association. It was a contentious election for the directors at the annual meeting. At our next board meeting we will be electing our officers (President, v.p., secretary and treasurer). The first 3 offices are pretty well established as to who will be elected. I am concerned that both of the other two, new board members, may decline to serve as treasurer. What happens in that case? Can he/she be elected without their accepting the nomination? Or what happens if there is no treasurer elected?

You can elect someone who did not accept the nomination, but once elected they can also decline the office, unless your bylaws provide that they cannot, which is rarely the case.

If there is no treasurer elected, you have an incomplete election, and you vote again. And again. And again. Sooner or later someone will want to see their loved ones again, and will consent.

Archived