The Official RONR Q & A Forums

What is Advanced?

I've read this thread in the "Advanced Discussion" forum. There, experienced parliamentarians are urged to post questions for discussion and comment. Not an experienced parliamentarian, I stay out of that 'deep end of the pool" and stay in the shallow waters of the regular forum.

But this thread in particular puzzled me. It did not seem to be an advanced or complicated question. It seemed pretty basic to me, one of modest knowledge and experience. Whereas a moderator participated in it and the topic wasn't moved, I'm left wondering what the criteria for this forum are.

I apologize if I sound like I'm complaining, but I am curious. And if guests post in that forum, how does one ascertain their level of experience? Can ANY question be posted there? Can I post a question there if I want only serious replies? Just wondering...

I apologize if I sound like I'm complaining

I'm afraid it's a little too late for that now.

If guests post in that forum, how does one ascertain their level of experience?

Guests should not post in that forum. In fact, I've decided concluded that guests should not be permitted to post at all. It's better for them (only one run through the CAPTCHA gantlet) and better for "us" (they're more likely to respond to follow-up questions).

Can ANY question be posted there? Can I post a question there if I want only serious replies?

A more formal structured bulletin board might, for example, restrict posting on the "Advanced" forum to members with a minimum number of posts. But, in this particular forum, any topic is as "advanced" as the poster thinks it is. So don't be surprised if you see an "advanced" post on the topic of spouses serving on the same board.

A more formal structured bulletin board might, for example, restrict posting on the "Advanced" forum to members with a minimum number of posts. But, in this particular forum, any topic is as "advanced" as the poster thinks it is. So don't be surprised if you see an "advanced" post on the topic of spouses serving on the same board.

True but if the post count was high enough you probably wouldn't see that much. Someone who had 100+ posts probably would know enough about this forum and parliamentary procedure to send their post to the right forum. As another (or supplemental) option a member would need to seek permission to use that forum (that might be applicable to a new member who is known to be an experienced parliamentarian and would used the "Advanced" forum properly).

Just wondering...

There have been a number of posts in the Advanced Discussion forum that have been moved into the General Discussion forum by the moderating team. I've seen one or two that have gone in the other direction. I think it's fair to say that it's a judgment call on the part of the moderating team (as it most probably should be) as to what should or should not appear in that forum, based (I would suspect) mostly on the question itself. The "chair" rules, and as I've noted elsewhere, there is no appeal from his decision.

Personally, I don't care where the post ends up as long as I get to ruminate irrepressibly, as is my wont.

I've read this thread in the "Advanced Discussion" forum. There, experienced parliamentarians are urged to post questions for discussion and comment. Not an experienced parliamentarian, I stay out of that 'deep end of the pool" and stay in the shallow waters of the regular forum.

But this thread in particular puzzled me. It did not seem to be an advanced or complicated question. It seemed pretty basic to me, one of modest knowledge and experience. Whereas a moderator participated in it and the topic wasn't moved, I'm left wondering what the criteria for this forum are.

I apologize if I sound like I'm complaining, but I am curious. And if guests post in that forum, how does one ascertain their level of experience? Can ANY question be posted there? Can I post a question there if I want only serious replies? Just wondering...

The first paragraph of the Moderator's profile explains it all.

I apologize if I sound like I'm complaining,

I'm afraid it's a little too late for that now.

I can only hope that's a joke.

Personally, I don't care where the post ends up as long as I get to ruminate irrepressibly, as is my wont.

Fair enough. But it leaves me to wonder if others are free, also.

The first paragraph of the Moderator's profile explains it all.

Well that is certainly OK by me. I was once a moderator on a message board that dealt with issues of clergy sexual abuse and to say the least, things got heated and at times people believed an internet message board should somehow be a safeguard of their Constitutional rights. It's your board, your rules. I'm good with that. Just thought I'd ask, and I appreciate the honesty!! :-)

I started watching some of the videos on RONR. Yikes, is all I can manage right now.

"I move that...."

Yikes.

Well most of it was correct but "Is there any discussion" is not the correct way to proceed after the motion is seconded (though saying "Are you ready for the Question" might be a little confusing for people who aren't familiar with all the niceties of RONR).

Well most of it was correct but "Is there any discussion" is not the correct way to proceed after the motion is seconded (though saying "Are you ready for the Question" might be a little confusing for people who aren't familiar with all the niceties of RONR).

Don't interrupt me now, I'm still working on memorizing and practicing "I move that....":)

In addition to referring to the first paragraph of the Moderator's profile (as was rather flippantly suggested), it may be worth while to revisit that thread to see if there might be any problem if the primary amendment was, in fact, offered in the form of a substitute, and then the secondary amendment was offered as an amendment to the original motion rather than as an amendment to the primary amendment.

Archived