The Official RONR Q & A Forums

When is a Board aboard?

David A Foulkes

It's well known (well, by some anyway) that the Board is not present at a membership meeting. But what about at a convention for a State Association which has its own board, and hosts delegates from all the chartered affiliates? As much I still think no, I ask because conventions do seem to deviate from the norm as far as some rules and procedures apply. So, is the State Board at the State Convention?

It's well known (well, by some anyway) that the Board is not present at a membership meeting.

But what about at a convention for a State Association which has its own board,

and hosts delegates from all the chartered affiliates?

As much I still think no, I ask because conventions do seem to deviate from the norm as far as some rules and procedures apply. So, is the State Board at the State Convention?

A body only exists officially when a QUORUM is present at a PROPERLY-CALLED MEETING.

If the meeting is improperly called (i.e., spontaneous), or if there is no quorum, then you may have individuals present, but whatever that group of individuals do, their actions are NOT actions of that body.

If you have two boards,

(a.) one for the whole organization, and

(b.) one for a convention,

then you muddle your question. -- You are using the term "board" in two different contexts, referring to two different bodies.

At a convention, the body assembled to transact business is the body of delegates.

The board is not assembled in a properly-called meeting of the board to transact board business.

Individual board members may be present, surely, but if the aggregate sum of board members is gathered together, that by itself is insufficient to constitute the board (as there is no properly called meeting of that body).

It's well known (well, by some anyway) that the Board is not present at a membership meeting. But what about at a convention for a State Association which has its own board, and hosts delegates from all the chartered affiliates? As much I still think no, I ask because conventions do seem to deviate from the norm as far as some rules and procedures apply. So, is the State Board at the State Convention?

If properly called, there could conceivably be a meeting of the Board that occurs contemporaneously with the convention at the same event venue as the State Convention, in a separate conference room. I've seen that done. But except for the convenience of scheduling a board meeting at the same site as the convention, the meetings are of two different bodies, and for parliamentary purposes, they may as well exist in different cities.

No members of the board are automatically permitted to attend unless they are delegates. The convention rules may provide that members of the Board are invited guests, but if so they have the rights of guests, viz., to sit quietly and observe (or on occasion to act all ceremonial in front of cameras), unless some other convention rule grants them more than that.

Let's say it's not (because it isn't). Can you make a case that it is?

No. But there are still times where I am grazing through a section (such as 58) that I don't spend a majority of time in and find some little nugget I was not aware of. I know there are a few differences between conventions and regular meetings of organizations (perhaps nothing of historic proportions), and thought this might be one of those nuggets my eyes had glossed over in readings. Thought I'd ask the "pros". < insert winky face emoticon here >

Thanks all.

Archived