The Official RONR Q & A Forums

I do I withdraw my second to a motion?

Guest Charlie Adams

Guest Charlie Adams

A fellow board member made a motion to elect a member to one of our director positions. I made the second. There has been one vote made. We are doing this vote electronically as our directors are worldwide. I t has now come to my attention that the member may have conflict problems.

How do I remove my second since our President has not brought this conflict matter to the attention of the full board.

Thanks

A fellow board member made a motion to elect a member to one of our director positions. I made the second. There has been one vote made. We are doing this vote electronically as our directors are worldwide. I t has now come to my attention that the member may have conflict problems.

How do I remove my second since our President has not brought this conflict matter to the attention of the full board.

Thanks

If the rules in RONR govern the matter, the answer is that you don't. The fact that you seconded the motion is now entirely irrelevant.

Q. How do I remove my second since [reason]?

A fellow board member made a motion to elect a member to one of our director positions.

I made the second.

There has been one vote made.

"Wham!"

You are too late to do anything about "seconds" once the motion/election has gone this far.

Once the chair has stated the motion, or if there was no debate, once the chair has begun the voting phase, then the issue of a second is moot.

There is no second to "withdraw." -- It's history.

You can't. Seconds cannot be withdrawn except in a vanishingly small window after they are made. Once virtually anything happens as a result of your second, it's too late.

Besides, nothing is permitted to interrupt the voting process, once begun.

Archived