The Official RONR Q & A Forums

C&B committee powers

Guest Betsey Lee

The Constitution and Bylaws does not stipulate whether or not a committee can or can't kill the resolution nor does it grant the committee any other special powers.

Your procedures are too customized, and too out of kilter with the default rules of Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised (RONR 10th ed.) for us to cite a page from RONR and "prove" that your particular committee can or cannot kill resolutions.

• Some committees are empowered to kill resolutions, to act as a "filter" or "first line of defense."

• Some committees are not empowered to kill resolutions, and must pass 100% of their business "upstairs" to the superior body.

Under the default rules of Robert's Rules of Order, committees are powerless, and must pass everything they got up to the superior body, and cannot kill anything.

Which kind of committee is YOUR committee?

I don't know.

I haven't read your rules.

I haven't read your minutes.

Your organization will have to interpret your unique rules.

Your procedures are too customized, and too out of kilter with the default rules of Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised (RONR 10th ed.)....

Well, to be fair, the only thing we know about them is that there is nothing in them that addresses the authority of a Committee to kill a resolution, nor do they give the Committee any "other special powers." I don't think that's enough to declare them "too customized" or "too out of kilter" with RONR. For all we know, they are just fine.

Well, to be fair, the only thing we know about them is that there is nothing in them that addresses the authority of a Committee to kill a resolution, nor do they give the Committee any "other special powers." I don't think that's enough to declare them "too customized" or "too out of kilter" with RONR. For all we know, they are just fine.

F.Y.I.

My eyeballs lit up when I read that this committee obtained its own resolution from an unknown source.

Where did this "resolution" come from, since it definitely did not come from the empowering body?

THAT is what struck me as doubleplus ungood (see George Orwell's Newspeak in his novel "1984").

Archived