The Official RONR Q & A Forums

majority defined as more than half excluding blanks?

Guest loose

p. 387 majority is defined as more than half those casting votes (who are entitled to) excluding abstentions (goes without saying?) and blanks - what do you mean, "blanks"? The only blanks I know about are the options you suggest in a motion.

p. 387 majority is defined as more than half those casting votes (who are entitled to) excluding abstentions (goes without saying?) and blanks - what do you mean, "blanks"? The only blanks I know about are the options you suggest in a motion.

A ballot cast that has no mark on it is not counted.

The words "blanks" refers to pieces of paper, i.e., ballots, upon which is no mark (e.g., no check, no cross, no circle) to indicate a voter's choice.

The "blank" may be pre-printed with the names of candidates/nominees.

The "blank" may be pre-printed with the wording of the main motion being voted on.

But the "blank" in RONR refers to the lack of voter indication, the lack of pencil or pen handwritten marking of the voter.

Thus the synonym: "blanks" = "abstentions".

Some background.

The concept of having a uniform ballot, pre-printed with the names of the candidates/nominees, is a new invention, relatively speaking.

It is called the Australian ballot.

There is no rule in Robert's Rules which requires an Australian ballot, i.e., which requires the usage of a pre-printed ballot.

A blank sheet of paper is perfectly acceptable to use for voting purposes.

A member who wishes to conceal the fact that he is abstaining can do so by deliberately dropping into the ballot box an unmarked ballot, i.e., a "blank".

Archived