The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Board resignation

chinafleet

Per our bylaws we elect a president, recording secretary, corresponding secretary (considered an officer in our organization) and one Director in even years for 2 year terms. Odd years we elect VP, treasurer and 3 directors for 2 years.

Today the President resigned from the position and an "odd year" Director resigned from the organization.. Then the VP and the secretary announced they would not run for election and/or were resigning effective in June . (our annual elections) Two other directors also announced they will not serve again.

Vacancies on the Board are to filled by appointment of the Board until the next annual election except when the president resigns and the VP steps up. That seems pretty straight forward except........

Our nominating committee was to turn its report today. However the Pres. was the chairman of that committee and no report is ready. Our bylaws require we have one member of the Board on the committee. The VP has said they will assume that position.

I'm asking for guidance as I want to be very sure we do things in a proper and fair manner.

Sooooo- where do we go from here? I think we leave the entire thing to the nominating committee. Is that correct?

Thanks,

Ruth

Sooooo- where do we go from here? I think we leave the entire thing to the nominating committee. Is that correct?

No.

You take things one step at a time.

When the president's resignation was accepted (not when it was offered), the vice-president became the president. So you have a vacancy in the office of vice-president and, apparently one or more other vacancies on the board. These should be filled as soon as possible.

Then you hold your regular elections as usual, including any unexpired terms filled by the board.

If the nominating committee's report is incomplete, that's not a problem. You should accept nominations from the floor as well as write-in votes.

I think we leave the entire thing to the nominating committee.

Is that correct?

No.

You do NOT leave the entire thing up to a crippled (i.e., vacancy-riddled) committee.

Nominating committees do not run elections.

You don't need a Nom. Comm.

You don't even need nominations, technically, to hold an election.

So the fact that your Nom. Comm. failed to report is a trivial matter, and affects nothing. -- Nominations can always be done spontaneously by opening (or re-opening, as the case may be) nominations from the floor.

So, do this:

Do floor nominations.

Hold your election.

That's it.

Now we have a new issue. The VP does not want to be President- not even until the elction in June. She wants us to appoint a President. Another suggested she take the Presidentcy, we appoint a VP. Then the President can resign and the new VP move up.

Another suggested a 'special election' as no one is comfortable with the President being appointed.

Help!!

Now we have a new issue. The VP does not want to be President

Well, she should have thought of that before she took the job.

The fact is that, when the president leaves office (for whatever reason) before the term is up, the vice-president automatically becomes president. It happens in the blink of an eye.

Her only choice now is to resign as president.

I trust you'll never elect this person to any other office, ever again.

Your bylaws have a method for filling vacancies. You must follow that method. Extra nifty ideas are interesting but irrelevant.

Your former VP does not get to decline the presidency. She is already president. She accepted that fact back when she accepted the office of Vice President. The vacancy exists in the office of Vice President.

Just take things one step at a time. The first thing to do is to fill the vacancies that exist now. That's up to (the remainder of) the board to do, per your bylaws. That needs to be done pronto. The nominating committee has no role in that.

By rights, the ex-president never should have had a role in the nominating committee, and your current president (you don't have a VP) shouldn't either. But if your bylaws set it up that way, you (and they) have no choice. If not, you're better off. In any case, the role of the nominating committee is only to consider nominees for the upcoming election. They have no role in filling vacancies.

Once everyone is in place, the nominating committee, if they have time, can consider whom to nominate for the election. If they can't, oh well, stuff happens. You can still open nominations from the floor at the election meeting, or even forget about nominations and just hand out blank paper ballots for each office, and let people vote for anyone they want.

Majority elects. No majority?--keep voting.

Archived