The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Election/Meeting Question

TROfficial

My organization recently had an election. The election is being appealed by certain officiers (the officers going into the election...not the newly "Elected") because according to them Roberts Rules were not properly followed during the election.

The president of my organization called a meeting of the officers. Now certain members are contesting who is supposed to attend the meeting.

While an election is in appeal....do the "Old" officers attend the meeting? or the members who have been newly elected....yet are being appealed...

My organization recently had an election. The election is being appealed by certain officiers (the officers going into the election...not the newly "Elected") because according to them Roberts Rules were not properly followed during the election.

The president of my organization called a meeting of the officers. Now certain members are contesting who is supposed to attend the meeting.

While an election is in appeal....do the "Old" officers attend the meeting? or the members who have been newly elected....yet are being appealed...

I'm afraid that you will need to explain what you mean by "appealed", since there is no such thing as "appealing an election" in RONR.

What is it that they claim was not properly followed?

"Called" (or special) meetings can only be held if the bylaws (or higher rules) authorize them. Do they? If not, then you can't hold them. The bylaws should also detail who can call them, and what notice requirements are, among other items. Meetings generally include either the Board, or the membership, and all members of the body that is meeting are entitled to attend. You can't be selective about it.

If sounds as if your officers have not taken office yet. Per RONR, when the voting result of an election is announced, the officer (or trustee, perhaps) takes office immediately. The "old" officers are no longer officers, and the "new" officers are. At a meeting of the Board, the "old" officers have no right to attend, and the "new" officers have every right to attend.

Your rules may vary, and any answers that account for your customized rules would not likely be had from RONR if you have deviated from it.

So, what's going on here?

Under the rules in RONR, Appeals, where appropriate, only take place during meetings, and are settled immediately. They do not drag out between meetings. And what gets appealed are rulings of the chair, not the decisions of voters. So it's not clear what is actually happening in your society, or what rules are being claimed to authorize it.

Typically, if the rules of order were not followed during an election, and nothing was done about it at the time, there would be no grounds later for a Point of Order or an appeal that could affect the results of the election. But it would hinge on exactly what the breach of the rules was, and you have given us no clue.

Well, since according to RONR there is no appeal going on, and since new officers take office immediately, you don't even have this problem.

Apparently the problem is occurring under (or because of) your customized rules, which we would have no information on, nor opinion about.

Members attend meetings.

Board members attend board meetings. General members attend meetings of the general membership (i.e. the organization). If there is no defined body of "officers" then there can be no meeting of officers (though they are free to get together). If you do have a defined body that consists of your officers, then only those who are officers at the time of the meeting are members of that body.

Archived