The Official RONR Q & A Forums

don't sweat the little stuff

Guest loose

I am in the midst of trying to persuade my little volunteer group to use RR in meetings. I lose credibility if I want people to vote on minor matters. So I'm trying to learn the skill of what to bring to a vote and what to pass over as conversation. Does anybody out there want to offer me criteria?

I am in the midst of trying to persuade my little volunteer group to use RR in meetings. I lose credibility if I want people to vote on minor matters. So I'm trying to learn the skill of what to bring to a vote and what to pass over as conversation. Does anybody out there want to offer me criteria?

The president has almost nothing to say about what matters are brought to a vote. The members decide that by making the appropriate motion.

In matters of "routine business or on questions of little importance" (i.e. the little stuff) the chair can ask for unanimous consent without the formality of putting the motion to a formal vote, or even without the formality of a motion. (RONR 10th Ed., p. 51ff)

I don't see why you'd lose credibility for asking members to voice their opinions through the ultimate process of voting. I'd think it would be the other way around if you denied the opportunity, and right, to vote. But it's your group, so you know them better.

They regard voting as a tedious chore/would rather let Chairman decide for them!

Well, sad as that sounds, you did mention you were a little volunteer group. I don't know how little, or what you do, but maybe the formality of the deliberative assembly (RONR, voting, all that stuff) isn't really applicable. You'll have to decide of course, but if you push RONR on them to the point they say "see ya later", then it may not be that important. Do you have bylaws, and officers, and elections, and all that?

I wouldn't "pass over" something as conversation. I would suggest, instead, that you use the procedure of unanimous consent to deal with administrative details. You don't need to sweat it too much over when you should and shouldn't use it, because someone can always object and force a formal vote.

I'll be dollars to donuts your meetings will run more efficiently with RONR. People tend to get sidetracked and off on tangents without focus, without rules of order. Remember that the rules are designed to facilitate and enhance the process. They will if you let them. people will start noticing the meetings are ending earlier.

Archived