The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Silent vote?

Guest Robert

Hi, I have a problem in my organizations elections. I am aware that Bylaws trump Roberts Rules however I wanted to ask the members opinions. In my Bylaws, elections are stated simply as "Elections should be conducted by silent vote". As far as I know, elections in this format proceed like this: Nominees give speech each one at a time, Q&A by members, then silent vote by ballot is conducted. However certain members believe we should do all this followed by a "discussion" in which members discuss how they feel about each candidate, while they are out of the room, just before voting. Personally I feel like the discussion is unnecessary. However the people who want to do this claim according to Roberts rules, all votes are allowed for discussion before moving to a vote.

My question is simple: Does this situation apply to Roberts Rules? Is this the correct way to handle elections?

Let me know what you think, thanks

Well... "silent vote" isn't defined in RONR, but I'm betting you mean a ballot (secret) vote.

Elections, like most any other decision an assembly is called upon to make, are debatable. And shipping the candidates out is not required at all.

Don't you want the candidates to have a chance to listen and rebut the things said about them?

Does this situation apply to Roberts Rules? Is this the correct way to handle elections?

Well, the members are correct that elections are debatable, but you can't make the candidates leave the room.

Perhaps scrap the Q&A, have the discussion with the nominee in the room?

Sounds good to me. You could just work any questions into the regular debate as Points of Information rather than having a separate Q&A.

Hi, I have a problem in my organizations elections. I am aware that Bylaws trump Roberts Rules however I wanted to ask the members opinions. In my Bylaws, elections are stated simply as "Elections should be conducted by silent vote". As far as I know, elections in this format proceed like this: Nominees give speech each one at a time, Q&A by members, then silent vote by ballot is conducted. However certain members believe we should do all this followed by a "discussion" in which members discuss how they feel about each candidate, while they are out of the room, just before voting. Personally I feel like the discussion is unnecessary. However the people who want to do this claim according to Roberts rules, all votes are allowed for discussion before moving to a vote.

My question is simple: Does this situation apply to Roberts Rules? Is this the correct way to handle elections?

Let me know what you think, thanks

Seems to me the assembly must decide what the bylaw "silent vote" means, or how silent it must be! Perhaps it really is to be with no discussion. Perhaps the silent applies only/strictly to the voting itself and not leading up to or after. But in any case, I note your bylaws say "should" and not "shall".

Archived