The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Point of Order

Guest LauraR

I belong to a small community organization. Although we try to follow Robert's Rules, most of us are not very knowledgeable about the specifics of these rules and run our meetings somewhat informally. Before now this has never been an issue with our members. Now one of our member is constantly bringing up points of order that we are not following. Often we don't know if he's right or wrong and don't know how to respond. How can we handle this in a way that respects his rights to question the process while at the same time keep the meeting on track?

Often we don't know if he's right or wrong and don't know how to respond. How can we handle this in a way that respects his rights to question the process while at the same time keep the meeting on track?

You need to be as familiar with your rules (including your bylaws and RONR) as this member presumes to be.

I'm afraid there are no shortcuts (though RONR In Brief is a good place to start).

And you could always ask this member to cite the rule he claims is being violated. But don't be surprised if he's able to do so!

I belong to a small community organization. Although we try to follow Robert's Rules, most of us are not very knowledgeable about the specifics of these rules and run our meetings somewhat informally. Before now this has never been an issue with our members. Now one of our member is constantly bringing up points of order that we are not following. Often we don't know if he's right or wrong and don't know how to respond. How can we handle this in a way that respects his rights to question the process while at the same time keep the meeting on track?

Begin by viewing points of order as attempts to keep the meeting on track, not as impediments to doing so.

Second, get at least one copy of RONRIB, hand it to your presiding officer with instructions to read it cover to cover. It takes no more than an evening or two. And it's part of the duties of the job to be informed on parliamentary procedure. Then pass the book around among the other members, so they can get up to speed too. Don't be surprised if it turns out that your new "expert" turns out to be wrong on a number of points. There are more misconceptions out there than you can shake a stick at. Just take a look at the FAQ file here, which is also printed in RONRIB, for some examples.

Third, when you're ready, get a copy of RONR, but don't attempt to read it cover to cover. RONRIB is plenty for most small informal groups. And I hesitate to recommend getting RONR right away, as the 11th edition is on the way.

Fourth, when you come up with a question on a specific point that's not clear, stop back here any time and ask.

Archived