The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Quorum and absent members

riverviewer

I serve on our local library board of trustees which usually operates according to RR . Tonight all members were present minus one so there were 8 present. When the time came to vote on a particularly significant issue a member spoke up and said' even though ''X' is not here I know he feels strongly we should count his opinion in this vote and the president allowed for this. We have never taken into account an absent member's opinion in the past. Would I be out of line to call this into question?

I serve on our local library board of trustees which usually operates according to RR . Tonight all members were present minus one so there were 8 present. When the time came to vote on a particularly significant issue a member spoke up and said' even though ''X' is not here I know he feels strongly we should count his opinion in this vote and the president allowed for this. We have never taken into account an absent member's opinion in the past. Would I be out of line to call this into question?

A motion is adopted by members PRESENT and voting. See RONR(10th ed.), p. 4, l. 5-10.

No. Absentee voting is strictly prohibited unless your bylaws (or some other applicable rule or law) permits it.

Not to mention that even in an assembly where absentee voting is permitted, "word of mouth" is generally not an acceptable method of voting. Or, put another way, it's like a proxy vote which was never given.

Not to mention that even in an assembly where absentee voting is permitted, "word of mouth" is generally not an acceptable method of voting. Or, put another way, it's like a proxy vote which was never given.

Although if you Google "define viva voce", you find all too many definitions of "by word of mouth". So, it's kinda sorta like a "voice vote". laugh.gif

Archived