The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Executive Session

Guest Very Concerned

Guest Very Concerned

I very much appreciate the opinions and advice people provided on this subject previously. I did extensive legal research with the support of a law librian and hired an attorney which concluded that all incorporated non profit Clubs in our State must make ALL records available to members. So the Board denying access to meeting minutes is illegal here. A Club's reliance on Roberts Rules of Order" cannot trump the Boards legal and fiduciary responsibilities. When Club members reasonably suspect abuse of Board authority and trust they should have the legal right, and in my opinion do have an ehtical responsibility to seek information to get at the truth. Thanks again for your ongoing opinions.

If the laws of your state say that all incorporated non profit Clubs in your State must make ALL records available to members, and you have involved an attorney and the officers are refusing to comply, your attorney and not this forum should be advising you on the next step.

While we can help you with information regarding RONR, none of us have the power to make your club follow its bylaws, RONR or applicable statutes.

-Bob

I did extensive legal research with the support of a law librarian and hired an attorney which concluded that all incorporated non profit Clubs in our State must make ALL records available to members.

If you say so. :mellow:

So the Board denying access to meeting minutes is illegal here.

If you say so. :mellow:

A Club's reliance on Roberts Rules of Order

cannot trump

the Boards legal and fiduciary responsibilities.

Huh? :blink:

I don't see the relationship (rather, the conflict), where obedience to one's parliamentary authority will lead to legal/fiscal irresponsibility.

When Club members reasonably suspect abuse of Board authority and trust they should have the legal right, and in my opinion do have an ethical responsibility to seek information to get at the truth.

"Legal"?

We don't do "legal".

We readers and repliers answer question about Robert's Rules of Order.

Do you have a question about Robert's Rules of Order?

Do you even have a question? :huh:

Archived