The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Nominations for office

Guest Jack

I am of the understanding that if I want to run for office in my organization that I must either be in attendance at the time I am nominated so that I can accept the nomination or I must send a letter or note stating that I am willing to hold whatever office I am interested in and that I will accept the nomination.

I am told that this makes it much easier to make sure we nominate and elect people to an office that they will take on the duties of and perform them as prescribed in our bylaws. If I am not present or send a letter to say I will accept then I may not be put on the ballot.

It certainly makes it easier if the voters (or the nominating committee) know ahead of time that you are willing to serve if elected, but it is NOT an RONR requirement that you tell them.

In fact, you could let everyone know that you have no interest in the job and if, in spite of that, you're elected, you're free to change your mind and accept the office. They just might want to elect someone without any ambition for a change.

In any event, it's more important (though not essential) that you be present when (and if) elected, than present when nominated.

Archived