The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Board action without meeting

Guest Linsey

Hello,

Certain members of our board of directors have taken it upon themselves to freeze a personal account of one of our members. This account is used to "underwrite" expenses. It is a member's personal account but he only uses it for this organization. Taxes, receipts, etc.... are completely attended too. The usage of the account is not in question. What is in question is the authority of which the board members took this action. It was not discussed at a meeting, voted on, etc... Certain members just went ahead and worked with the bank to freeze the account.

A little background - the current BOD have been voted out by the member and are not happy about the situation and are trying to do anything and everything to make life rough for the remaining members. I knew they were capable of a lot but this action takes the cake.

I know this isn't about RONR exactly, but what recourse do we have as a membership/assembly? A vote wasn't taken on this action so is the action legal?

Thanks

Certain members just went ahead and worked with the bank to freeze the account.

They acted as individuals, not as a board, and they're individually responsible for any consequences (both legal and parliamentary).

I know this isn't about RONR exactly, but what recourse do we have as a membership/assembly? A vote wasn't taken on this action so is the action legal?

The board (or, more likely, the association) can choose to not ratify these individuals' actions (assuming ratification was even possible, which seems unlikely). The association could also pursue disciplinary and/or legal actions against the board members. Disciplinary action could include anything from a slap on the wrist to removal from office to expulsion from the association (see Chapter XX). For legal options, consult an attorney.

If it was my account that was frozen, I'd call the bank. And a lawyer.

If the "Board" did something without a meeting and vote to do it, it was a) no meeting; B) the "Board" as such has done nothing; and c) it was solely the action of the individuals in question. And that isn't dealt with by RONR other than to point out that the individuals are personally responsible for whatever trouble they caused.

Archived