The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Elections

Guest Thomas

How or when does the secretary treasurer cast a ballot for unopposed officers. The guide;omes for elections inaccordance with our constition and bylaws says that when officers run unopposed that the secretary treasured must cast a ballot for the unopposed officers. We just had our elections for 2011, but the unopposed officers were not on the ballots nor were there names mentioned on the secret ballot tally sheet. All ballots have to be accounted for.

How or when does the secretary treasurer cast a ballot for unopposed officers. The guide;omes for elections inaccordance with our constition and bylaws says that when officers run unopposed that the secretary treasured must cast a ballot for the unopposed officers. We just had our elections for 2011, but the unopposed officers were not on the ballots nor were there names mentioned on the secret ballot tally sheet. All ballots have to be accounted for.

Their names were not on the ballots, nor the secret ballot tally sheet? Did anyone else besides them even know they were running?

The practice you are hinting at, the secretary casting one unanimous ballot for an unopposed candidate, fell out of favor with RONR many many years ago. In its place, the preferred practice is for the chair to declare the unopposed candidate elected by acclimation. However, if the bylaws say elections are done by ballot, and no other method can be used as in this such case, then the ballots must be used, even for an unopposed election.

So, how is it that these officers are "running" for office, with no record of their names on any of the official associated documents?

I'm thinking that since no one but the secretary treasured can vote for them there not much point in putting their names on the regular ballot.

Also instead following the letter of the rule they're just following the spirit of the rule and that is if you're running unopposed you win.

.... no one but the secretary treasured can vote for them....

I'm not sure where you get this from.

I hope Thomas can crack the secret code and give us a little more info on this. I'm curious how members can run for office without being "announced" in the usual way, such as being included on the ballot. I'm guessing that they possibly might be currently holding office for which no one else is challenging them, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're "running", or even able to serve again.

Thomas' org has the rule in place (sec cast unanimous ballot, or whatever) but apparently this is the first year they've needed to invoke it while not apparently having any candidate running unopposed, or so they think.

So, as the trickle-out theory is in force, we'll wait and see.

I'm not sure where you get this from.

I hope Thomas can crack the secret code and give us a little more info on this. I'm curious how members can run for office without being "announced" in the usual way, such as being included on the ballot. I'm guessing that they possibly might be currently holding office for which no one else is challenging them, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're "running", or even able to serve again.

Thomas' org has the rule in place (sec cast unanimous ballot, or whatever) but apparently this is the first year they've needed to invoke it while not apparently having any candidate running unopposed, or so they think.

So, as the trickle-out theory is in force, we'll wait and see.

A sole nominee (unopposed candidate) ought not appear on any ballot if, in accordance with the governing documents, he is to be declared elected by acclamation (or by the secretary casting the unanimous ballot of the assembly, as appears to be the case in this instance).

A sole nominee (unopposed candidate) ought not appear on any ballot if, in accordance with the governing documents, he is to be declared elected by acclamation (or by the secretary casting the unanimous ballot of the assembly, as appears to be the case in this instance).

Certainly makes sense, and perhaps this is in fact the first time Thomas' group has had this situation arise, ergo they don't really know what to do.

In keeping with the trickle-out theory, I am half expecting to learn that the nominating committee turned in their report with single names for each office, after which there were no additional nominations from the floor at the election meeting, and thus the unopposed candidates. But .... well, there I go ruminating irrepressibly again.

Archived