The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Delayed election

CCMTG

I have two questions concerning nominations and elections:

The first one: Is there anywhere in RONR that statest a particular nominee has time to "campaign" before being nominated. This question was posed to me, I know that the person can nominate him/herself from the floor. This person is looking to be be voted in as President. To my understanding there is no one else interested in the position.

Secondly, can the current Board delay elections?

Is there anywhere in RONR that statest a particular nominee has time to "campaign" before being nominated.

No, but if a member wants a particular office he is free (under RONR) to talk to the other members and try to get someone to nominate him (he can self-nominate but it doesn't look good for his chances of election if no one is willing to nominate him) and gather votes for the upcoming election.

can the current Board delay elections?

Are the elections supposed to take place at a Board meeting or a meeting of the General Membership? Also, what do you mean by "delay"? Do you mean, "Eh, we don't want to have elections now. Let's do it later." or when the election is pending saying "Let's set up an Adjourned Meeting (RONR pp. 234-240) and postpone the election to then and see if we can get anyone else interested in the position"?

No, but if a member wants a particular office he is free (under RONR) to talk to the other members and try to get someone to nominate him (he can self-nominate but it doesn't look good for his chances of election if no one is willing to nominate him) and gather votes for the upcoming election.

Are the elections supposed to take place at a Board meeting or a meeting of the General Membership? Also, what do you mean by "delay"? Do you mean, "Eh, we don't want to have elections now. Let's do it later." or when the election is pending saying "Let's set up an Adjourned Meeting (RONR pp. 234-240) and postpone the election to then and see if we can get anyone else interested in the position"?

It is for the presidency of a council...the situation is this...a council member nominated herself for the presidency, but she seems to have a contentious relatiionship with the board and the members themselves and it seems they are trying to buy time to find other candidate to contest the position. So yes the second one.

It is for the presidency of a council...the situation is this...a council member nominated herself for the presidency, but she seems to have a contentious relatiionship with the board and the members themselves and it seems they are trying to buy time to find other candidate to contest the position. So yes the second one.

So is the election for the Council President taking place at a Council meeting or a Board meeting?

...can the current Board delay elections?

From the thread, I'm guessing that the ofice you describe is indeed elected by the board and that the applicable rules say that the president is e.g. elected at the June regular meeting. Assume the June regular meeting is tonight, June 8. If the majority wishes to delay the election, they could pass the motion "to set the time to which to adjourn," setting June 15 as the date for the adjourned meeting. At that time, the meeting resumes where it left off with the election.

Note that if this is a governmental board, your rules might differ.

-Bob

From the thread, I'm guessing that the ofice you describe is indeed elected by the board and that the applicable rules say that the president is e.g. elected at the June regular meeting. Assume the June regular meeting is tonight, June 8. If the majority wishes to delay the election, they could pass the motion "to set the time to which to adjourn," setting June 15 as the date for the adjourned meeting. At that time, the meeting resumes where it left off with the election.

Note that if this is a governmental board, your rules might differ.

-Bob

Thank you all who replied...this is what I was looking for...

Archived