The Official RONR Q & A Forums

board members forced to resign

Guest Michele

Our community cemetery association met yesterday for it's annual meeting and a group of the association had planned a revolt. They had one member of the board of directors make a motion that everybody (5) on the board resign, he received a 2nd from a member of the association and the motion carried. They then proceeded to nominate 7 people for the board and they re-elected 3 of the previous 5 who had "resigned." The other board members didn't officially resign, they were told they had to after the first motion carried. This was total chaos and none of it seemed to follow any order. Can you 1) be forced to resign, and 2) if you were forced to resign, can you be immediately re-elected to the same post you just resigned from? The by-laws address absolutely nothing that has to do with elections or terms or anything.

Our community cemetery association met yesterday for it's annual meeting and a group of the association had planned a revolt. They had one member of the board of directors make a motion that everybody (5) on the board resign, he received a 2nd from a member of the association and the motion carried. They then proceeded to nominate 7 people for the board and they re-elected 3 of the previous 5 who had "resigned." The other board members didn't officially resign, they were told they had to after the first motion carried. This was total chaos and none of it seemed to follow any order. Can you 1) be forced to resign, and 2) if you were forced to resign, can you be immediately re-elected to the same post you just resigned from? The by-laws address absolutely nothing that has to do with elections or terms or anything.

If the bylaws (or other governing documents) do not address/permit such an action, then I doubt it is proper. Your folks just made up the rules as they want and relied on intimidation.

If the bylaws (or other governing documents) do not address/permit such an action, then I doubt it is proper. Your folks just made up the rules as they want and relied on intimidation.

I agree with gerry400. They can't elect anyone to an office that is not vacant.

The board can make a motion that I give them the keys to my silver Porsche. But guess what?

Archived