The Official RONR Q & A Forums

E-Mail Voting

Thomas J O'Brien

Is it permissible to use e-mail voting instead of regular Business Meetings by a Board of Directors, when making decisions that affect the entire group. Most especially when voting to spend money?

My interpretation is, it is not allowed. I am looking for more Knowledgeable persons than myself for advice.

Thank You.

Such voting is permissible only if the bylaws expressly provide for it or its use is mandated by applicable law.

Is it permissible to use e-mail voting instead of regular Business Meetings by a Board of Directors, when making decisions that affect the entire group. Most especially when voting to spend money?

My interpretation is, it is not allowed. I am looking for more Knowledgeable persons than myself for advice.

Thank You.

See the footnote on the bottom of page 2, in RONR(10th ed.).

See the footnote on the bottom of page 2, in RONR(10th ed.).

Hello and thank you for your response. Can you please tell me what it says on page 2 of the 10th ed.

Mine is a 2001 book and the references to electronic rules are near the end of the book I have.

I understand that the rules may have changed since my book was published.

Thank You.

Hello and thank you for your response. Can you please tell me what it says on page 2 of the 10th ed.

Mine is a 2001 book and the references to electronic rules are near the end of the book I have.

I understand that the rules may have changed since my book was published.

Thank You.

RONR, 10th Ed, was published in 2000. Your book is not earlier; it is just not The Right Book. (See http://www.robertsrules.com/book.html .)

The footnote on p. 2 basically expands on what Mr Honemann said.

Can you please tell me what it says on page 2 of the 10th ed.

"Efforts to conduct the deliberative process by postal or electronic mail or facsimile (fax) transmission-which are not recommended-must be expressly authorized by the bylaws and should be supported by special rules of order and standing rules as appropriate, since so many situations unprecedented in parliamentary law may arise and since many procedures common to parliamentary law are not applicable (see pp. 482-83)." (RONR, 10th ed., pg. 2, footnote)

Archived