The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Committee Communications

DavidTuma

While etiquette would be clear, I have been unable to find an answer to the following:

What in RONR requires a Chairman, when sending an email to members of a committee, not to exclude one of the members (or a small group of members) from the distribution of the email to the committee?

RONR doesn't govern the sending of communication, except for notice and the call of the meeting. Notice and the call of the meeting must be sent to all members. See RONR(10th ed.), p. 118 and p. 5. Cute photos of cats or other random e-mails may be sent to as many or as few committee members as desired, at the discretion of the sender.

Is there a recommended timeframe for sending agenda and meeting minutes. i.e., 1 week? 2 weeks in advance of the meeting, send the agenda. and

the day following or within 1 week of the meeting to distribute minutes.

Thanks. -jb

Is there a recommended timeframe for sending agenda and meeting minutes. i.e., 1 week? 2 weeks in advance of the meeting, send the agenda. and

the day following or within 1 week of the meeting to distribute minutes.

Thanks. -jb

For most organizations, I would recommend going without an agenda. The standard order of business, found on page 342 of RONR(10th ed), will work just fine. The minutes can be distributed as soon as they're prepared. If your secretary is dragging his feet, I would suggest that one week is PLENTY of time to prepare minutes (possibly seven days more than is needed), but knowing the proper form of the minutes can help greatly. See RONR(10th ed.), p. 451-456.

Also, you'll generally get better responses if you post your question in a new topic.

If your secretary is dragging his feet, I would suggest that one week is PLENTY of time to prepare minutes (possibly seven days more than is needed), but knowing the proper form of the minutes can help greatly.

Nevertheless, no rule in RONR compels the secretary to produce the draft minutes any earlier than the next meeting, when they would be up for approval.

Archived