The Official RONR Q & A Forums

President making a motion

ejs1943

I have a rather simple and straight forward question.

Does a motion made by the Chairperson (or president) require a second?

If a motion requires a second, it means that a member other than the maker of the motion must second it before it is placed before the assembly, regardless of the identity of the maker of the motion.

However, usually when a chair is allowed to make motions (such as in a meeting of a small board or committee), seconds are not required at all, no matter who makes the motion.

• 10 months later...

David you state 470-71 as the pages in RONR as to where to go to see rule on President can't make motions.

I can not see anywhere that is stated. Can you give the line number and what page please. We have a President that

is in violation of this and need to be able to site this in order to have him stop.

David you state 470-71 as the pages in RONR as to where to go to see rule on President can't make motions.

I can not see anywhere that is stated. Can you give the line number and what page please. We have a President that is in violation of this and need to be able to site this in order to have him stop.

Firstly, this thread is nearly a year old so any page references are likely to be to the 10th edition.

Secondly, nowhere does it state that the president can't make motions.

Archived