The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Tie breaking rule

rhammar

The bylaws of a large charitable organization call for nominees for the board of directors to be the four persons receiving the most votes by a designated nominating body. The question has been asked, "What if there is a tie for fourth place?" That is, what if the votes are as follows: A (50 votes), B (40 votes), C (30 votes), D (20 votes), E (20 votes). I cannot find a tie-breaking rule for such a situation in RONR. Should the nominating body simply revote on fourth place? That seems logical, but I cannot find any authority for it or any other solution. Thanks!

The bylaws of a large charitable organization call for nominees for the board of directors to be the four persons receiving the most votes by a designated nominating body. The question has been asked, "What if there is a tie for fourth place?" That is, what if the votes are as follows: A (50 votes), B (40 votes), C (30 votes), D (20 votes), E (20 votes). I cannot find a tie-breaking rule for such a situation in RONR. Should the nominating body simply revote on fourth place? That seems logical, but I cannot find any authority for it or any other solution. Thanks!

RONR doesn't have a solution for this situation. In RONR, when nominations are held by ballot, each person receiving a vote is nominated. Your organization will have to decide what the rules contained in the bylaws mean. If there is ambiguity, See RONR(10th ed.), p. 570-573, for Some Principles of Interpretation, and when you get it figured out, amend the bylaws to state it more clearly.

I would say that their bylaws have the answer. Candidates A, B, and C were elected because each of them received votes sufficient to be in the top 4 as required in the bylaws. However, as there was a tie for 4th place, neither candidate was elected as neither received votes sufficient to be in the top 4. They have an incomplete election and must revote.

-Bob

I would say that their bylaws have the answer. Candidates A, B, and C were elected because each of them received votes sufficient to be in the top 4 as required in the bylaws. However, as there was a tie for 4th place, neither candidate was elected as neither received votes sufficient to be in the top 4. They have an incomplete election and must revote.

-Bob

As I read the question, this was a nominating ballot (by a "designated nominating body"), not an election ballot (by the parent organzaition). But since the bylaws say the nominees are "to be the four persons receiving the most votes," I agree that the same principle applies.

Archived